Japanese Airfields

CP_Admin

• Administrators

Dear Pilots,

Feel free to share any information, resources or references about Japanese airfields that played a role in the Pacific Theater 1941-1945. Some airfields have been lost to time and hard to locate. 

Thanks in advance!

The Combat Pilot Team

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

G'day Amiral

Rabaul isn't my speciality, I only have one airfield photo mosaic Nov 1943.

Pacific Wrecks has excellent maps available but I'm guessing you would already have those.

Here's one map I do have that may or may not be found at Pacific Wrecks.   

16856661241101668402945094518586.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you!
Yes indeed these ones I mostly had. I also shamelessly look at the great job done by Il-2 modders in this category, it is of much help in this regard.

Now the funny thing is that getting good info on Japanese airfields is hard already - but adding insult to injury, considering the Japanese were not really taking photos as often as SWPAC did, and that their archives are also much less generous in terms of hard data, we end up knowing less about the way early allied airfields were designed (besides US schematics) than we do about Japanese ones ^^

Fortunately US fliers & engineers do take photos, but it's never that kind of PR stuff you have from the Recon Lightings, the B-17s & all.

At any rate, I'll happily follow this thread with much hope for extra input 🙂

Cheers

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Amiral, I’m glad to hear that you are interested in Rabaul. It’s a subject that always fascinates me. I made the late war Rabaul map for Il-2 1946 several years ago and collected a lot of information regarding airfield layouts plus roads and streets in the town. If there is anything you need let me know and I can see what I have 🙂

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Oh hello Feathered! Sorry, only saw your message just now!
If you mean the map that might have popped up on SAS and of which I had seen pics back in the day, with the town, that really was a great, great job. Thank you very much for your kind offer, I'll happily ask when time comes 🙂

What I saw over there in the forums was a big source of inspiration, if I can make the best use of your experience, rest assured I will 😉

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

There are some good photo's of airfield strikes in New Guinea in the book "Air Apaches. The 345th Bomb Group in WWII' by Jay Stout. Although whole airfields are not shown, the detail covered by the photo's gives a very reasonable idea of layout, revetments and buildings. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...