My first flight "sim"

javelina

Yep, I bought this as a "youngster".  I thought it was so cool to "fly" with (in the mid 70's).  Little did I know where we were heading....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richthofen's_War

• Like 5

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I have never been able to find it online anywhere but it was a black and white version with a Battle of Britain scenario. This was in the 1986 to 1988 time frame that I got this game since I played it on the first IBM clone computer we bought for our company which did not have the math coprocessor. Lol, it took about 6 hours for it to run payroll for 12 employees and could not be used for anything else while that program was running. It was also our first and only desktop computer at that time. Considering it cost around $3,000 US at that time there was no way we were going to be getting one for the home.

The Player used the up, down, left, & right arrows to fly his bomber. Two things that I really remember about the game were that my father ALWAYS got his navigator killed by flak over the target but still got home and I never made it home since I ALWAYS got shot down by flak. The full game was also on a single 5.25 floppy disk.

I lost the game when the HDD crashed on the computer. When I tried to copy the files that were on the 5.25 floppy to a 3.5 floppy so I could save it to a more safe medium and then use it to reinstall the game on another machine I found that the 5.25 disk was blank. Was so ticked at the time that I just threw everything away.

Wheels

• Like 2

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

My first simulator was the B-17 Flying Fortress: World War II Bombers in Action from Microprose, in 1992, the next one but I didn't use much was the Su-27 Flanker and the next one that I still have today, It is Jane's WWII Fighters, with this I flew many hours alone, until a simulator that we all know ( IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles ) and all its expansions arrived.

I have very good memories when in 2008 I had a decent line to be able to use it online, from that moment I have no longer separated myself from flight simulation.

The simulation title that made me enjoy pleasure was Rise of flight, I still have the box with its DVD and the map.

In any case, the only one of them that I am still using without a doubt, is the IL-2 1946

It's so nice to be able to remember the evolution of flight simulation. 😍

Edited by Lothar29
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

My first sim was Red Baron II in 1998. Can still vividly remember the day.

I was wandering around Town Hall in Sydney and noticed a Hobbyco shop. As a young kid I was mad about building Airfix models. So for nostalgic reasons peered into the shop window to see what was current. And tucked away down in one corner I saw the RB II box.
Couldn't make out whether it was a model or a book (was very computer unaware back then :classic_smile:). 

After buying it, I had to go out and buy my first computer to play it, a Pentium II. 25 years later, I'm still hooked! 

Been a few more purchases since then. :classic_biggrin:

sims.jpg

• Like 2

I really miss the old product boxes, with it's artwork and quality manuals and CD contained within.

Was so much more of an 'event' buying the old sims and racing home to unwrap them. Now it's just an ethereal download.
Might make business sense, but to me it has taken an integral part of the fun out of simming.

• Like 4

On 7/29/2023 at 7:32 AM, wheelsup_cavu said:

See a lot of the same titles stored away or on a shelf in my place too @Boom.

Wheels

Ahhh, but do you have Virgin Interactive's 1997 Sabre Ace? A surprisingly good game. Although FM wasn't top notch the campaign and missions were as great. And it had multiplayer, although I never, ever found anyone online. Left me thinking I was the only one who had bought it. :)

And it happily tidied me over until Rowan launched MiG Alley in 1999. IMHO one of the top five sims of all time.

13 hours ago, Boom said:

Ahhh, but do you have Virgin Interactive's 1997 Sabre Ace?

It is definitely one that is unfamiliar to me but that does not mean I never bought it. When I start digging through old boxes of video games I quite often come across titles I do not remember playing.

Wheels

• Haha 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.