Game glitches IL-2 1946

When all else fails, Ram them... 😱

The screenshot below shows some FM/DM failures common to 1946. Not only did my Pilot survive that crash the only damage sustained by the P-39 I was flying was that the prop stopped shortly after that screenshot was taken. After taking off the wing of the Betty, which looking at the screenshot indicates to me that it should have ended my virtual pilots life too, I was able to glide and do a wheels up landing about 3 km from where this collision occurred at the Port Moresby airfield. This event occurred because I was waaaaaaay too focused on firing at the Betty and not my closing speed on it. This glitch happened during one of the stock RAAF DGen campaigns on the stock New Guinea map.

miracle_kill.thumb.jpg.14e55498f7d348bda6b3ddec131279c6.jpg

Wheels

Edited by wheelsup_cavu
  • Like 4

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

• 3 weeks later...

The screenshot above shows some FM/DM failures common to 1946. Not only did my Pilot survive that crash the only damage to the P-39 was that the prop stopped shortly after that screenshot was taken. After taking off the wing of the Betty I was able to glide and do a wheels up landing about 3 km from where this collision occurred.

--------

split in two

ntrk_error.thumb.jpg.8528f7dcd9918410b6335df101fa5956.jpg

This was caused by anomaly in the ntrk playback when using the Stationary Aircraft Spawn feature. The ntrk's do not recognize stationary aircraft as Player aircraft so it leaves the stationary aircraft in its original location and creates a Player flyable aircraft in the exact same location.

Wheels

• Like 4

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

• 1 year later...

I had IL-2 Forgotten Battles and then got the Pacific Fighters expansion.  At the time it seemed like a fun game, but not a serious flight simulator in the way that I came to view them.  I was never engaged by it enough to further pursue the series.  Afterwards, I picked up MSFS2004 and then FSX, and was blown away by the concept of high fidelity clickable cockpits, and TrackIR.  Those two sims took a minor video gaming interest to a genuine hobby of Flight Simulation, as I started to gather the hardware we now associate with the genre these days.  I’m genuinely curious what makes IL-2 1946 such a nostalgic favorite.  To me it felt like any other of those flying games that I’d pick up off the shelf at Best Buy, play it for a little while, and then go off and buy some other game, maybe flight, maybe an empire-builder, a space game, fantasy role-playing, etc.  In retrospect, IL-2 (FB, PF,1946 or whatever) is one of those games I think, “how was I ever entertained by that?”  Am I the odd man out, in this regard?

• Like 3

"How was I ever entertained by that?" -- As a single player game il-2 46 taught me (and most people I suspect) a ton about WW2 aircraft, particularly minor aircraft, and gave me a 'hands-on' experience with some of the flight characteristics of the aircraft; maybe not real experience of those characteristics but in comparison to other aircraft. So, (and I'm curious of course to see how this match up plays in Combat Pilot), the F4F turned like a pig but it could take damage and had a great roll rate and could out-dive the zeros. The zero's were freaking amazing in a turn fights but couldn't dive and were made of paper and were easy to burn. In the european theatre... Spitfires were simply iconically great (and would eat zeros alive when transported ahistorically into the pacific... no idea if that's right) Me109s were tricky pigs. You earned your victories in them. FW190s very different model to model but were classic boom and zoom planes.  There were some questionable FMs to be sure. The P51 seems to have been despised by the russian developer. How else to explain it's horrible performance?  How accurate were the flight models, 'really'? I don't know. But  il-2 was the first game I had ever encountered that actually simulated aerial gunnery. This was absolutely eye-opening for someone raised on arcade-style plane shooters... holy crap, you suddenly understood aerial gunnery is <hard> and the guy who could fly acrobatics wasn't nearly as dangerous as the guy who could hit what his was aiming at. With the unlimited ammo setting "off" it was hard to score a single machine gun kill at first. And all that said, as a single player it got old fast. Il-2 Single player was <meh>. What made il-2 an experience I will never forget was the mulitplayer community. This was before Steam had conquered the pc-gamerverse, and il2 was played on Hyperlobby. There were game modes for everyone, but the passionate playerbase was committed to flying "full real" -- meaning  no gamey icons or vision lock-ons or unlimited ammo or assists of anykind etc. And the full real communtiy grew and squads formed and then some really crazy A+ guys developed a way of creating a persistent (these games lasted months) WWII ground battle campaigns in which our squadrons would fight an air war that influenced the war on the ground. This was competitive, allies vs axis. I recall a Soviets vs Crimean campaign, and a post DD France campaign... particularly vividly.  Hyperlobby and il-2 supported 100 planes in the air, too, the campaigns took place over a huge map. Everyone was on coms with a chain of command... flight leader getting missions from the central hub. You got ONE life to fly with on a game evening, and if you died, your stats, your kill streak, died with you.  You would scout for enemy, call out contacts, bring in help on coms, improvise and ride to someone's rescue... Your team had limited planes, especially front line fighters, you didn't want to run out or you'd be flying trainers into battle. So you <did not> bail out if you could avoid it. And limping a wounded plane back to base and safely on the ground was its own kind of heroics.  Hyperlobby and the <<<amazing freaking community-developed game that arose organically in it>> made il 2 something very very special. Of course there are now some massively multiplayer war games playable on the net and that's ok, but they are all a bit arcadey afaik ... but hyperlobby il-2 hit a home run because the hardcore combat flight simmers there weren't concerned with needing return on investment by satisfying the casual customer, they were bent on squeezing every possible drop of realism out of what was available in the il-2 game. It made for WWII flight-sim gamer heaven. In my RL Parenthood had me dropping out of flight-simming just as il-2 transitioned into Steam based and Cliffs of Dover and Battle of Stalingrad etc. So I have no experience with those... they were sure advancements in the flight sim, but I'd be amazed (and jealous of what I missed) if they had anything like that persistent hyperlobby campaign thing going.

**edit** LOL. Either because the server was slow or it was my first post or user error... but the OP I replied to is NOT the actual OP of this thread... thus my rather long-winded reply -- I thought the topic was il2 46 and it's issues/benefits. *sigh* oh me...  

Edited by JG27Pyth
  • Like 7

**edit** LOL. Either because the server was slow or it was my first post or user error... but the OP I replied to is NOT the actual OP of this thread... thus my rather long-winded reply -- I thought the topic was il2 46 and it's issues/benefits. *sigh* oh me...  

No problem.  They tend to allow a bit of topic drift here.  The original post about ramming was nonsense anyway 😃. Welcome to the forum, and I thought your response was a very good answer.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JG27Pyth said:

Welcome to the forums @JG27Pyth

I am the OP and that was a great first post!! You described what made IL-2 so special all those years ago. 014_thumbsup.gif.fb461bd34e9e14142f72990c7e8c679f.gif

jg27pyth.thumb.png.ec5b43f95848d5d504e92546f14d4822.png

When you have time you might consider dropping in and saying Hi in the Introductions forum or the Welcome thread in that forum.

17 minutes ago, Sea Serpent said:

The original post about ramming was nonsense anyway 😃.

Yep, pretty hard to complain about topic drift when the original post left the subject matter for the Topic wide open.

Wheels

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, JG27Pyth said:

Hyperlobby and the <<<amazing freaking community-developed game that arose organically in it>> made il 2 something very very special.

I missed out on the glory days of IL2 1946, coming to the flight sim game far too late. When was Hyperlobby the place to play? Has anything since come close?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

Am I the odd man out, in this regard?

Yes, Hyperlobby, great system at that time, massive online wars, great co-ops with some really great IL-2 sqns, it was awesome!

But then the modding really arrived and eventually the whole online scene fragmented...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Yes, Hyperlobby, great system at that time, massive online wars, great co-ops with some really great IL-2 sqns, it was awesome!

But then the modding really arrived and eventually the whole online scene fragmented...

Too many mod packs, completely agree.

HSFX, SAS, BAT, DBW, etc, etc. Had the community united in a mod community,  with one pack to rule them all,  I think it would have survived much longer, but people didn't want multiple multi-gigabyte installs and never knowing which mod pack a server had or which version it was using, sadly once modding occurred, the communities fell apart, and online play (for the mass numbers), died quickly after.

Edited by Mysticpuma
  • Like 3

If RoF, IL-2 GB, and DCS multiplayer communities are any guide, 60% of the players who do mp are (*not my cuppa tea) , so instead of 100 (*not my cuppa tea) , you have at least 2000 of them in the Hyper-Lobby days.  Good Riddance I say!

😀

Edit/Fett

Edited by Boba Fett
  • Haha 2

Let's not dump on and be divisive to a significant portion of the CFS community. I am and know many very nice multi-player types. While there are certainly (*not my cuppa tea) on MP, my and most pilot's experience does not necessarily support your statement.

Fett

• Thanks 1

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

On 8/28/2024 at 9:50 PM, Sea Serpent said:

If RoF, IL-2 GB, and DCS multiplayer communities are any guide, 60% of the players who do mp are (*not my cuppa tea) , so instead of 100 (*not my cuppa tea) , you have at least 2000 of them in the Hyper-Lobby days.  Good Riddance I say!

😀

Edit/Fett

On 8/29/2024 at 11:07 AM, Boba Fett said:

Let's not dump on and be divisive to a significant portion of the CFS community. I am and know many very nice multi-player types. While there are certainly (*not my cuppa tea) on MP, my and most pilot's experience does not necessarily support your statement.

Fett

When I post stuff like that, especially with an accompanying smiley face, I assume most people are witty enough to know I was “taking the piss” out of them as the British say.  I mean, c’mon, it’s not like I took an actual quantitative survey to arrive at an actual number of “not-my-cuppa-tea.”  I didn’t expect to be taken literally. 😆

• Haha 2

Well, in all fairness, not enough of them didn't not take it literally enough to not mention it to the admin side. Just proactively keeping the peace, as is my charter.

Fett

• Like 2

Fett

If some people here want to take things so literally, and have no sense of humor, then I can be literal and serious too.  The very premise of this topic, about ramming your opponents is offensive to me, because it embodies the essence of Airquake, arcade troll behavior in MP by people who don’t give a damn about stats, in my personal experience.  If we are playing Combat Pilot Okinawa, then Kamikaze behavior certainly has its place, but generally in MP, it’s considered very poor server etiquette towards a fellow player.  There is no better way to say F You to another player then ramming them, or killing them in their chute.  Am I back on topic now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Serpent said:

There is no better way to say F You to another player then ramming them, or killing them in their chute.

Yep, that certainly happens in MP, never done it myself as I'm one of the good boys, (Queensbury rules and all that), but the years I spent in MP on Hyperlobby I never actually saw it happen, or  had it done to me...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Yep, that certainly happens in MP, never done it myself as I'm one of the good boys, (Queensbury rules and all that), but the years I spent in MP on Hyperlobby I never actually saw it happen, or  had it done to me...

Don't think I was ever rammed without getting an apology afterwards. Mind you, playing the SEOW co-op campaigns meant that you were with a large number of like-minded people, which may not have been the case on some of the more airquake dogfight servers.

🍻

• Like 1

The Bell Inn, Bath. Live music venue and real ale pub (thebellinnbath.co.uk)

I am in the homepage picture... or I would be if they hadn't cropped off the bottom part of it. 🍻

45 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

In RoF, I’m sure you went up against the GT squadron, but if you never got rammed by them,  it’s only because you never got on their Ram-At-First sight list. Their whole purpose doing that was to troll players they didn’t like out of the server, because they knew it would piss them off.  And towards the end, they mostly didn’t like anybody who was actually any good at the game (they mistakenly thought others were cheating).  That dog ended up catching the car however, and the day came when they were almost always alone on the server.  That was a sorry last chapter for RoF.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

Everyone knock it off or I'll be forced to moderate stuff.

Jason

In fairness, you could probably delete the entire thread and nobody would complain, or even notice, except the OP.   It doesn’t seem like topics of this nature provide much value added, if any, to a flight sim community.

• Like 3

OK, gentlemen. Both the ticky tacky stuff between you as well as being critical of and/or dictating the moderation ends now. We try to be hands off as much as possible as long as the community polices themselves but enough is enough. Continuing down this path will result in time off. That is all.

Temporarily locked.

Fett

• Haha 4

Fett