As a reminder only

36 minutes ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

Must be an idiom in English... what does it mean?

Well slap my thighs and call me Sally!

An expression of astonishment - southern in origin.

"well butter my butt and call me a biscuit!"

Edited by Gambit21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

I wrote this last year... https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/80428-we-cant-just-magically-conjure-missing-sources-into-existence/

And here we are... with "Combat Pilot" in the works...

"If everything happens as it should, in a world inhabited by flight simulation enthusiasts, and if technology and economy do not regress, there will be sooner or later a Pacific War flight simulator, a simulator worthy of the name, whether 1C Game Studios develops it or not."

Well said. This is why we are all here. 

• Thanks 1

Kintaro you forgot one pacific theater sim that was for me an important one:

Hellcats over the Pacific created by Parsoft and released by Graphic Simulations. They also made an excellent FA18 Hornet sim.

It was on Macintosh and released 1991 or 32 years ago. Yes at that time I had both worlds. And I had a mathematical coprocessor board in the Macintosh to speed up calculations.

However it was the first sim that appeared to me completely fluid high frame rate with no stutter at all. Compared to the others at that time even if graphics where extremely crude by today standards, it was a very nice look and feel when the plane reacted immediately and seamlessly to the Josytick motion. The others I had on PC's were absolutely not at a similar stage.

I firmly believed PTO was not economically feasible looking at todays standards. I clearly underestimated numbers of potential buyers. 
I knew interest among likeminded simmers would be great, but I always believed we were few. 
In my mind this is too good to be true, and I can’t let the feeling be, that it is often so. 
Jason know what this takes, and I guess he believe it is doable

As with anything, it's how much it will cost vs how much you can charge/expect to sell in return.

There's another old saying that applies to sim development: "The perfect is the enemy of the good."

While everyone enjoys more detail and accuracy, at a certain point it sucks up development resources for little benefit to the final product that you can't really recoup the investment on. Also known as the 80% solution, where you can get 80% of the way there for a realistic expenditure.

I want a present-day tech version of Pacific Fighters with some specific enhancements beyond graphic fidelity like carrier ops, AI, realistic fleet sizes and compositions, but I'm not expecting a competitor to DCS' WWII modules.

If CP's planes are basically convincing to fly with relative performance between themselves that is accurate, I don't care if time to climb or range is 30% off...just as long as plane A, that could out climb plane B in the war by X amount, can still out climb plane B by X amount. Tweak them later after the release is in the rearview mirror.

DCS and BoX are still getting FM updates after a decade, CP doesn't need to compete on day 1.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IckyAtlas said:

Kintaro you forgot one pacific theater sim that was for me an important one:

Hellcats over the Pacific created by Parsoft and released by Graphic Simulations. They also made an excellent FA18 Hornet sim.

It was on Macintosh and released 1991 or 32 years ago. Yes at that time I had both worlds. And I had a mathematical coprocessor board in the Macintosh to speed up calculations.

However it was the first sim that appeared to me completely fluid high frame rate with no stutter at all. Compared to the others at that time even if graphics where extremely crude by today standards, it was a very nice look and feel when the plane reacted immediately and seamlessly to the Josytick motion. The others I had on PC's were absolutely not at a similar stage.

Surprisingly, even to me, in the 1990s I was a consumer of ETO flight sims mainly. So I picked most sims of that PTO list in the internet. Oh, and I never pretended it's an exhaustive list. For the Pacific I briefly used the second CFS (at release in 2000) and as of 2005 started running "Pacific Fighters", which led me straight ahead to December 2006 (the "IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946" DVD). Other than that, thank you Icky for the mention of Hellcats over the Pacific, I watched one video in Youtube and immediately understood I missed something in the early 90s.

• Like 1