Carrier take off and landings - Was the IL2 1946 solution "chocks in" the only solution ?

TP_Bunster

For multiplayer, a limit on time you can spend on the deck before take off and after landing could be forced by the software.

Once the player reaches the limit, he would then be automatically send back to plane setup.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

Edited by FlyingShark

Raise the barrier half deck when a player spawns just forward of it when ready for take off ? Delay the spawn if a player just hooked a cable, let him reach zero speed and get pulled back by cable and then despawn just landed aircraft, allow ready aircraft spawn.

1 hour ago, FlyingShark said:

For multiplayer, a limit on time you can spend on the deck before take off and after landing could be forced by the software.

PF and 1946 would kick you from the server if you sat on the deck too long. It seemed to be a software setting since I never found a way around it.

Wheels

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

In the Stormbirds interview, he talks about how this will first cover things like Midway and Coral Sea, and the word “hardcore” is used.  Doesn’t sound like everybody defines hardcore the same.  You simply don’t have a simulation of actual carrier battles, if it’s full of kludges to make it play online like GB, where most guys come in and do their own thing, either alone, or with some buddies.  But we all know how  Midway played out, and while there were very small, partial squadron attacks from Midway itself, the carriers conducted strikes.  The Japanese lost because they couldn’t get those spotted on deck and launched.  

I remember some server with a completely idiotic RoF map, where there was some island in the middle and everybody would load about 10% fuel and melee in the middle.  That’s just arcade.  Isn’t that about what would happen if you have two opposing carriers and everybody could just launch and land whenever they pleased facilitated by some gamey spawning mechanism? Is the intention to have online open servers essentially conducting a fast food style “Midway”, and leave an actually realistic battle simulation as an offline affair, or for co op servers with well scripted scenarios?

37 minutes ago, Sea Serpent said:

That’s just arcade.  Isn’t that about what would happen if you have two opposing carriers and everybody could just launch and land whenever they pleased facilitated by some gamey spawning mechanism? Is the intention to have online open servers essentially conducting a fast food style “Midway”, and leave an actually realistic battle simulation as an offline affair, or for co op servers with well scripted scenarios?

Well…that’s like one of the old HL Air-Quake rooms, and what we did in 46 from what I recall. For anything remotely historic we flew CoOps. 🙂  

What you describe was fun now and then on slow HL nights  - but I was mainly a CoOp guy.

We had the lobby though - I’ve given up on ever seeing that again.

Who knows how it will shake out with CP, but I’d hope to see some historically based events as well as the inevitable air-quake nonesense.

I want both.   

100% historical accuracy in any mission is maybe only possible in single play, if you lie to yourself, and let your side lose if that's how it's "supposed" to be.  But really, who does that?  So lets say someone builds a really 100% accurate Midway scenario, with both fleets all in historic locations, etc...  Are you not going to try to win, even though you know where and when things are "supposed" to happen?

I don't believe in a "no win" scenario.  If you do that's fine, go for it, but I don't want gameplay that is so rigidly scripted that I can't build the kinds of missions that allow for outcomes to be variable depending on how each side chooses their tactics, and prosecutes their missions.

I hope that Combat Pilot has room for all play styles, so we all can enjoy the sim in a way that we like.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL

Pacific Sig.jpg

18 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I want both.   

100% historical accuracy in any mission is maybe only possible in single play, if you lie to yourself, and let your side lose if that's how it's "supposed" to be.  But really, who does that?  So lets say someone builds a really 100% accurate Midway scenario, with both fleets all in historic locations, etc...  Are you not going to try to win, even though you know where and when things are "supposed" to happen?

I don't believe in a "no win" scenario.  If you do that's fine, go for it, but I don't want gameplay that is so rigidly scripted that I can't build the kinds of missions that allow for outcomes to be variable depending on how each side chooses their tactics, and prosecutes their missions.

I hope that Combat Pilot has room for all play styles, so we all can enjoy the sim in a way that we like.

I don’t think anybody is talking about recreating the Battle of Midway or any other set piece battle in a literal sense, we’re talking about realistic WW II carrier operations and how that can be implemented in online play.  Carriers typically operate on launch and recovery cycles.

As far as appealing to “all styles”, I think that could be potentially disastrous.   One size fits all can easily mean it doesn’t fit anyone particularly well.

1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I just keep getting a vibe that there are people that want to force their play style on everyone.  Hope I'm wrong.

Hope you’re wrong?  You’re not wrong at all!  You want some kid with a mouse to be playing this future “hardcore simulation?” What are you doing?  Nothing different than I am, certainly.

For me, and that's in SP and MP it has always been about the mission, and nothing to do with the historical outcome, I couldn't care less about that.

I'm in that cockpit, and it makes no difference if it's carrier ops or land based operations, I want to get out there, do my job as well as I can and get back safely.

I'm sure for real that's what the majority of pilots did, do your job but more importantly, get back alive, hopefully with all your mates (other players) in one piece...

• Like 1