FSA trip

Props

Well howdy folks! I just got back home to Ecuador after over a month in the States. I had a great time at the FSA Expo and gotta say it was awesome meeting Jason and the Combat Pilot crew (thanks for putting up with me hanging out at the booth all the time;-). Then I was on to visiting family and they never knew I was really up there for the airplane shit, but it was good to see them too. I finished my whirlwind tour with 5 days at EAA Oshkosh and still having airplane dreams from that.

I had serious connectivity issues with 2 cell phones and getting a new laptop I bought up there running, so I have been a bit incommunicado for a while ( not that anyone here, or on any other forum, actually noticed).

Anyway, after spending time with Jason, Carlos, and the crew I can say that this sim is looking good and I am excited about the future of WW2 CFS all over again! 

• Like 13

• Executive Producer Skystreak Productions
11 hours ago, Props said:

Well howdy folks! I just got back home to Ecuador after over a month in the States. I had a great time at the FSA Expo and gotta say it was awesome meeting Jason and the Combat Pilot crew (thanks for putting up with me hanging out at the booth all the time;-). Then I was on to visiting family and they never knew I was really up there for the airplane shit, but it was good to see them too. I finished my whirlwind tour with 5 days at EAA Oshkosh and still having airplane dreams from that.

I had serious connectivity issues with 2 cell phones and getting a new laptop I bought up there running, so I have been a bit incommunicado for a while ( not that anyone here, or on any other forum, actually noticed).

Anyway, after spending time with Jason, Carlos, and the crew I can say that this sim is looking good and I am excited about the future of WW2 CFS all over again! 

Thank you Joe for all your hard work and support at the show! Was great meeting you in person and Carlos and I enjoyed the panel. You are a shining example of what this community is. Be safe down there and see you next time you are stateside buddy.

Jason

• Like 12

Posted (edited)

Thank you, but I really didn't do much except hangout;-). Here's a photo from Oshkosh next to my fave P-51 paint job of all time. Got to sit in the cockpit of another Mustang later, but I don't have that photo handy right now.

image.jpeg

Edited by Props
  • Like 11

19 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

Now go fly one. 😍

Going to need to log 200 hours in an AT-6 first.

Wheels

Edit:

When I posted I was going off memory from things said while I was volunteering at Planes of Fame but here is an article from 2022 that confirms what I remember from those conversations. :classic_cool:

To fly a P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair or P-40 Warhawk, for example, one needs to first log about 200 hours in a Texan per my insurance agent, Chris Travers.

https://flyingthrulife.com/airplane-respect-tailwheel-training-in-an-snj-6-texan/

Edited by wheelsup_cavu
Added quote and link to the article where the text I quoted was made.
  • Like 4

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

22 hours ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

Going to need to log 200 hours in an AT-6 first.

👇

18 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

People can book rides in a TF-51

There are a couple of twin control ones. Both in the States and the UK.

19 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

One also needs a Very large wallet.

That is true, but renting is so much cheaper than buying, I told my wife that this way you can‘t even fly as much as you are saving money.

Besides. Even though only a minority of folks understand it, shoving the throttle to a mere 46 inches, slowly dropping the nose, see that speed going quickly past 300 mph, pulling up the nose in a series of wingovers (they can‘t let you finish the roll as that would qualify you doing aerobatics, but 3/4 of the way is fine if made your front seat comfortable with you handling the plane beforehand) that IS something that made your life a better one.

There is this YT video of a VanHalen performance, where Eddie tucks his still burning cigatette under the strings of his guitar near the pegs and fires away his fast notes. A commenter wrote „That cigarette had a better life than I had!“. Well, throwing a Mustang through the sky is even better, especially you living considerably longer than that cigarette.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

To fly a P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair or P-40 Warhawk, for example, one needs to first log about 200 hours in a Texan per my insurance agent, Chris Travers.

This is the way it is, but you still have someone in the backseat in case you rent it, also for insurance purposes. You need to log 200 hours in the AT-6 to insure your own Mustang!

You are required a PPL rating for high performance aircraft (constant speed prop, retractable wheels) and tail wheel (who has planes like that these days?), then the difference in „rentals“ is essentially you being in the front seat instead of in the back seat and you can do takeoff and landing as well. All of which are the least favorite tasks of a combat simmer.

Aerobatics is a problem in its own, as on top of the other proficiencies mentioned, you need an aerobatic proficiency as well (if you have an Extra300 as your private hack, you are mostly settled), there is still the issue about wether the Mustang owner wants his plane do aerobatics at all. The more g load you welcome, the more maintenance he‘ll have. And „results“ from structural loads are like top-of-the-list inconvenient. AFAIK you can do some aerobatics with the Stallion 51 Mustangs (loop, rolls), same with the TF-51 in Sywell. But you cannot do 0g or negative g with any of them fir obvious reasons), same as flicking them is very much frowned upon. Also hammerheads are not really encouraged. Besides that they can make you end up in a delicate situation, a Spit and a Mustang have considerable flex in their structure and fast flicks are not well tolerated in an airframe that is supposed to be flown more than 50 times. IIRC, a tad below 100 ias, the Mustang, while still responsive on the controls, gradually starts to snake fast enough that through flexing the spinner touches the cowling. It‘s not really something you want. You have to be careful with them to make them last.

The Biggin Hill Spits are kept below 4.5 g and they won‘t even loop you for that. Rolling is fine though. But maintaining at least 0.5 g.

So it is up to you what kind of experience you are seeking. But if it was just a single pass over Duxford the way nature intended it, that is a lot.

Just conclude, 200 hours in a Texan is not something bad. Although fat and heavy, it is fully aerobatic an you can even flick it…

• Like 5

I've back seated a P-51. Cost $1200 for 30 mins a decade ago. Got outside of controlled airspace, up to about 8,000' then around 230 mph reasonably close to the ocean. We did a number of barrel rolls, four point rolls, and a Split S. I got an extra fifteen minutes at the end because I knew the pilot and I was last hop of the day. I was on the stick for about ten minutes. Basic turns, climbs and a couple of aileron rolls for me. Asked for a touch and go to log one more P-51 landing than my buddy but was told that was strictly forbidden by management. Still got .7 hours in the log book though.

• Like 7

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

On 8/4/2024 at 11:04 PM, Props said:

As promised proof that I actually held the joystick in a WW2 fighter. My life is almost complete now😆

Are you sure that was the joystick or were you just very excited?

Seriously, though, between the risks and the costs, I'll stick to flying virtual planes.

Edited by Aapje
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/7/2024 at 9:00 PM, Trooper117 said:

Didn't you chase Cary Grant around some fields in that thing?  :classic_laugh:

The references to Cary Grant and not....for example, Harry Potter are quite telling of the average age of the audience here.

Disclaimer: I saw that film too.

😁

Edited by Calos_01
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Calos_01 said:

The references to Cary Grant and not....for example, Harry Potter are quite telling of the average age of the audience here.

😁

I admit, I saw the Cary Grant flick as well.  Knew exactly what Trooper was referencing...  😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I don’t think people need to be ancient to recognize the allusion.  It’s widely considered one of the most famous movie scenes of all time, and even adorns the promotional movie poster.  And there aren’t any Stearmans in Harry Potter movies. 😀
61456193ce4247f3daccc7c3dec0671e.jpg

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1