A Thunderbird from 1962...

Major Lee

One of my customers has one that I tend to.  The "Bullet Bird" as they are now know by because of their shape, while stylish for the day, are a typical American overweight, over engined, under sprung, under damped, and under braked ride.  In short, it drives like a drunken elephant.  A stylish elephant though.

• Haha 6

Pacific Sig.jpg

2 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

One of my customers has one that I tend to.  The "Bullet Bird" as they are now know by because of their shape, while stylish for the day, are a typical American overweight, over engined, under sprung, under damped, and under braked ride.  In short, it drives like a drunken elephant.  A stylish elephant though.

While reading this quote in the "Unread Content" feed, without any context, I naturally assumed you were talking about a USAF Thunderbird F4 Phantom.

• Haha 6

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

4 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

typical American overweight, over engined, under sprung, under damped, and under braked ride.  In short, it drives like a drunken elephant.  A stylish elephant though.

Surely the point isnt to drive it but rather to be seen driving it?  🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

Naturally I thought this...

image.jpeg.4fbd1538a1c2132fd6ce52b257bc3f69.jpeg

I'm with you. A few years too early though. Always wanted a plastic kit model of Thunderbird 2. Think I may have had a T1 once. Found a DIY print-your-own Fireball XL5 a few weeks back so maybe it's time to start looking. 🍻

• Like 6

The Bell Inn, Bath. Live music venue and real ale pub (thebellinnbath.co.uk)

I am in the homepage picture... or I would be if they hadn't cropped off the bottom part of it. 🍻

The T-bird has never really drawn me in. Ive always thought it a little "meh". Regardless of handing (or lack of in cars from the era) Ive think that there are prettier or more outrageously glorious cars of the time. Not that I have any solid ground to stand on, given the mainsteam offierings of the British car industry at the time, to crtique anything

However, I have found something good to say about the '62......

.....It not a Series 10.  A car that I will never be able to unsee. 

• Like 1

I just love those cars that inherited their looks solely from design ideas and visions of their makers, rather than from a (more or less wrinkly) shroud over the absolute minimum cost design to incorporate mandatory safety and emission standards.

Cars are built today such that they will never become oldtimers. By now, we can build cars that basically only last their (mandatory!) warranty period and then they intentionally fail gradually. Underdimensioned timing belts, plastic drives in water pumps, everything that saves a penny here and there in a 50k to 100k $ product. I am sure desingers must get depressive building all that crap against better knowledge, just because at least for now it seems the better business.

And yes, most of those old rides are generally awful to drive compared to todays standards. But if all you are allowed to do most of the tome is going 20 mph, trust me it feels so much nicer behind a nice V8 than on an electric scooter.

• Like 2