New Egg Machines...

Here they are, some of my new egg machines. (Sorry, not a computer...) They are about two months old, should come online around early August. The white one is a White Leghorn, the gray one is a Saphirre Gem, and the brown one is a Rhode Island Red. I expect the 12 hens in total will yield about 8 or 9 eggs a day on average, maybe a few more early on. 🐔  I don't bother with selling eggs, but I do give some away to family and friends... 

20240608_102525.jpg

• Like 7

I had chickens for a few years... they ruled the yard for sure. They would stalk the cats and the dog if they ventured into their domain.

Sadly, they died off one by one, but not replacing them as I am selling the house and moving on.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Major Lee said:

Sometimes one of our chickens goes missing too... 

BBQ chipotle.jpg

good sauce!  put some on my ribs the other night...  😀

Edited by javelina
spelling
  • Like 3

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

2 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I had chickens for a few years... they ruled the yard for sure. They would stalk the cats and the dog if they ventured into their domain.

Sadly, they died off one by one, but not replacing them as I am selling the house and moving on.

around here, they're also great for eating scorpions. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

They aren't pets; they are livestock that I care for until their time ends. This is no different than buying chicken at the grocery store or a restaurant, only the distance from farm to table is much shorter and I am much more involved. I buy my beef from a local farmer who raises beef cattle in a pasture literally half a mile from my house. I like to know what goes into the animals that I and my family consume. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If you want to chop poor Henrietta’s head off with an axe, and then gut her before supper, that’s fine.  I’m just saying that’s not something that I would like to do.  I just go to Whole Foods and buy a pound of Chicken Breast.

Edited by Sea Serpent
Grass Fed, Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, I might add
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

If you want to chop poor Henrietta’s head off with an axe, and then gut her before supper, that’s fine.  I’m just saying that’s not something that I would like to do.  I just go to Whole Foods and buy a pound of Chicken Breast.

or, just swing by Costco and pick a whole cooked chicken for $5.  😁

• Like 2