Not sure how practical...but record trk file on weapon press?

I know that other sims have many different ways of doing this, but to record 'guncam' footage, often it requires a player to start recording at the beginning of a flight session or part way through? I can count on a lot of fingers and toes how many times I got a great kill and failed to have it recording. So the suggestion is, if possible, a gun camera that records when a button is depressed....or if not practical, revert to the old way that IL2:1946 did it, which automatically recorded a trk file, which the player could either save or discard at the end of a session.

Or we may miss out on some great publicity like this 🙂

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Mysticpuma said:

I can count on a lot of fingers and toes how many times I got a great kill and failed to have it recording. So the suggestion is, if possible, a gun camera that records when a button is depressed....or if not practica

Should be very practical to do I would think, it is simply calling a 2nd function to turn the gun camera on when the trigger is depressed and even have it run for x number of 2nds so it keeps recording for a short time after the trigger is released.  

Could do a lot with the .trk file and even a short video restricted to the real gun camera position many of the planes had at the time.

• Like 3

That's an interesting topic. Replay function is fairly common, so getting a replay from the perspective of a camera mounted in the wing root shouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility. I think it would make for very immersive AARs in the Briefing Room, showing you your own skills displayed as an old school movie, so you can learn from what you did. Wishlist stuff, for sure....

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It’s not out of the realm of possibility at all.  If you have the ability to record a track, and then shift to a different eyepoint, which all flightsims can do, because both computer graphics and aerospace are all about reference frames and coordinate transformations, then it can be done by a new college grad in the lower half of their class.  Semi-kidding here.  I think DCS provides gun camera footage, although I’ve never used the feature, so somebody else can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think it is totally practical.

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 2

What I would like to see in this instance is the recording feature that allows for duel recordings. One that is the full recording and in conjunction with that full recording a recording type that allows for gun camera type footage with a key press or joystick button press. This way you can go back and watch the full recording to see if there was something out of your view that was interesting but you also get the short recordings you made in the moment.

Wheels

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

On 5/24/2024 at 11:10 AM, Mysticpuma said:

I know that other sims have many different ways of doing this, but to record 'guncam' footage, often it requires a player to start recording at the beginning of a flight session or part way through? I can count on a lot of fingers and toes how many times I got a great kill and failed to have it recording. So the suggestion is, if possible, a gun camera that records when a button is depressed....or if not practical, revert to the old way that IL2:1946 did it, which automatically recorded a trk file, which the player could either save or discard at the end of a session.

Or we may miss out on some great publicity like this 🙂

Last year I had the best dogfight of my life on the Combat Box server, only to then realize I would never get to see it again because I didn't use my magic prophecy powers to record the whole flight. It definitely needs to save automatically and only discard after a flight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, GrungyMonkey said:

Last year I had the best dogfight of my life on the Combat Box server, only to then realize I would never get to see it again because I didn't use my magic prophecy powers to record the whole flight. It definitely needs to save automatically and only discard after a flight.

Disclaimer - what I know about game engines I could write on a sheet of loo roll with a magic marker and still have room for the entire works of shakespere.

If a game is automatically saving lots of positional and activity data wont that potentially be a perfomance issue whilst in the mission? 

If so, a global option to enable/disable auto save would be preferable and better allow for those that want it and those that dont.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Boo said:

Disclaimer - what I know about game engines I could write on a sheet of loo roll with a magic marker and still have room for the entire works of shakespere.

If a game is automatically saving lots of positional and activity data wont that potentially be a perfomance issue whilst in the mission? 

If so, a global option to enable/disable auto save would be preferable and better allow for those that want it and those that dont.

Every task a computer does is going to take some resources, but I can’t say I’ve ever seen a noticeable performance issue from the exporting of telemetry to a file.  Unless the system is barely adequate to begin with, I don’t think it should be an issue.

Edited by Sea Serpent
Typo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Boo said:

Not really no, the ability to record flights has been around for a very long time.  I remember using the record flight option in Red Baron, which was released in 1990. The computer is generating the positional data and activity data anyway, dropping it to a recording on the disk is not something that you are going to notice at all in terms of performance.

• Like 4

On 5/29/2024 at 1:18 PM, Skelthos said:

I remember using the record flight option in Red Baron, which was released in 1990

I also remember being able to jump into that recording during playback and fly the mission again at any point during that recording. It is definitely one of those features I would have liked to see in several flight sims that were published after it.

Wheels

• Like 2

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.