Texture update for the Wildcat and Zero posted by Jason

A new post from Jason on the Discord server.

"It's the middle of May and the weather is heating up here in Vegas, but so is our nascent skin texture team. I thought I'd share some of their early work testing the limits of our texture technology. All very much Work-in-Progress. Beauty is always subjective so don't get too wound up. This is just a sampling of different approaches to weathering and materials. But I think they are looking really interesting and thought you would enjoy seeing them. Have a great weekend everyone!"

F4F_Textures_02.thumb.png.78c9daab87b5e78552b1a678249cc2cc.png

F4F_Textures_01.thumb.png.cd6f0e4e944d26f5b150a7dfb8af2c87.png

A6M2_Textures_02.thumb.png.ad5f0a1ca4f907142e9e0c898430cfdc.png

A6M2_Textures_01.thumb.png.76eec07552ea79af82263b26def81f0b.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

33 minutes ago, Lusekofte said:

Why is Discord more updated than this forum?

For a large part forums are a dying format. The Discord server is way more active so posting there likely reaches a wider audience. At least that is my take on it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

43 minutes ago, Skelthos said:

For a large part forums are a dying format. The Discord server is way more active so posting there likely reaches a wider audience. At least that is my take on it.

It may be more active, but it also has a much more limited audience. No need for any fancy apps to read whatever is posted on this forum - a browser and Google is all you need.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, ÆþelrædUnræd said:

It may be more active, but it also has a much more limited audience. No need for any fancy apps to read whatever is posted on this forum - a browser and Google is all you need.

You can use Discord in a browser

• Like 1

image.png.950ab8e44f4b029d49e00675dee3245c.png

Working signatures? What a novel concept!

49 minutes ago, ÆþelrædUnræd said:

You can also use Discord in a browser, no app is needed. Discord is also easier to use and read on a phone or tablet than the forums. It would be interesting to see the actual numbers but I would wager that there are more users overall on Discord. Right now there are almost 400 people not counting devs signed into the Combat Pilot Discord server. I would be extremely surprised if the forums even came close to reaching as many users as Discord.   

• Like 1

Discord  seems to be an increasingly necessary evil  Sadly, in the same way smoking is no longer cool (its is kids, dont listen to em) things move on so I guess its a matter of suck it up buttercup or be left behind. 

Back on toopis, those renders are fanstastic!. 

Im sure they look better in a forum though.... 🙂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Skelthos said:

Well then. I hate discord.  I use it for voice com. That’s it. 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 11:02 PM, Skelthos said:

Well, I don't do Discord as I can't agree to their terms and conditions. 

Makes me very fed up as a customer to see Discord getting information and not the proper forum site that I am a member of.  

Plus the Discord business model is pure data mining, they are another security risk that I just don't need and I find their interface infantile and annoying (seems designed for little kids). 

No such thing as a free lunch.  I find it worrying the way they are sucking everything in and worrying that folks are willing to be sucked in.

Happy landings,

Talisman  

Edited by Talisman
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Talisman said:

Makes me very fed up as a customer to see Discord getting information and not the proper forum site that I am a member of.  

Plus the Discord business model is pure data mining, they are another security risk that I just don't need and I find their interface infantile and annoying (seems designed for little kids). 

No such thing as a free lunch.  I find it worrying the way they are sucking everything in and worrying that folks are willing to be sucked in.

Happy landings,

Talisman  

If the updates don't get posted here, I'll do my best to post them here until they get a PR person 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 11

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

If the updates don't get posted here, I'll do my best to post them here until they get a PR person 👍

OOOO! - I know a good PR person.....

I am really impressed with everything I've seen so far. Lots of detail in the modelling not only of the aircraft but the carriers and their weapons and now some really well executed paint profiles. Im so happy to see internals modelled to this degree as well though I suspect for the most part anything on the Zero will be engulfed in flames before we get a chance to see them. The carriers in particular were impressive and, even in early remder already looked superior to carrier internals in other air combat sims. 

Edited by Boo
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Talisman said:

Happy landings,

Talisman  

I do not disagree with you and am certainly not advocating for Discord, I was only stating what is, in my opinion, a likely reason that the Discord server sees more updates than the forums.

Ideally, the information would be posted in both spots to maximize coverage and allow us to have a choice on where to get our news. 

• Like 5

It would seem that Discord is being used just like any other social media platform would be. All of the DDs here seem like they're pretty hefty, and the small Friday type updates are very similar that would be posted to Facebook or Twitter accounts. Of course, due to the nature of Discord anything that is posted eventually gets drowned out with very little continuity unless it is logged somewhere.

That being as it is, it's extremely easy to use an .rss feed bot to post whatever is posted to the website here onto Discord, and this is something I've done for the Combat Pilot, IL-2, and Stormbirds on my Discord server. Unfortunately, Discord is a necessary evil when it comes to interacting with the community. The way I view it is that if they didn't make an official server right off the bat, then someone else would. Discord is also a much more 'official' platform for corporate structure companies than when it was created, moderation and server management tools have become much more streamlined in just the last two years.

• Like 2

The textures are looking good. I hope they address the Zero’s incorrect cowling shape in the future. Currently it is a circular tube, whereas the real thing had a more oval cross section with a circular opening. At the moment the discrepancy is quite noticeable. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

The textures are looking good. I hope they address the Zero’s incorrect cowling shape in the future. Currently it is a circular tube, whereas the real thing had a more oval cross section with a circular opening. At the moment the discrepancy is quite noticeable. 

You really can make that determination from just those pictures?  I sure can’t. I doubt this is something the 3d modelers would have screwed up, even in an early iteration.

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 1

Double checked what?  I’ve not seen one picture of the CP Zeke where it was possible to determine if the cowl crossection was perfectly circular or very slightly eccentric.  Please show us the pic you’re referring to, in which you make the determination that they modeled it incorrectly.

• Like 2

• Executive Producer Skystreak Productions
10 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I wouldn’t call it a screw up but yes, I double checked and I can definitely see it in those screenshots. The cowling is expressed as a round tube rather than a subtle oval. 

Feathered,

Sorry it's not a perfect circle. The opening is, but the overall cowling is not. Here is the wireframe. Our artists take great care to get things as correct as they can.

Jason

Zeke_Cowling_Shape.thumb.png.2af7e95f2648cc1669a2461ddd2d73c9.png grab_005a.thumb.jpg.22a0af1a25bd5b8f503226ad75a17ca6.jpg grab_007.thumb.jpg.b886ec44e23a3f47a40c82ff9e481a76.jpg 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 10