Pilot: Point of View

I'd like to see an option for a point of view closer to this video be available as an option with a key or button press. Would be very helpful during certain phases or aspects of flying. The gun sight centered POV is typically kind of low unless one is actually hunkered down and shooting.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Major Lee said:

That's cool stuff there! That'll take care of business. 🫡

https://www.trackir.com/trackir5/

Eyepoint view controls (and/or “snap views”) and the ability to set a default view as desired by the user have been part of every half-decent flight sim for decades.  Meanwhile, TrackIR has been around for a long time, and is considered standard kit by most, in lieu of VR.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Major Lee said:

That's cool stuff there! That'll take care of business. 🫡

https://www.trackir.com/trackir5/

I turkey neck in most of the European BoX fighters (small cockpits) to keep a good view of the landing spot until I approach the threshold. With TiR 6dof you can sit up, stretch a bit, and see quite a bit more over the cowlings for landings. Less so in the more roomy American fighters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

1 hour ago, Sea Serpent said:

Eyepoint view controls (and/or “snap views”) and the ability to set a default view as desired by the user have been part of every half-decent flight sim for decades.  Meanwhile, TrackIR has been around for a long time, and is considered standard kit by most, in lieu of VR.

I've been using a rolling hat switch for years, along with view padlock. I've heard about TIR, but never looked at it or used. Frankly, TIR seems like a natural progression and improvement. I'll have to give it a go with CP, someday....

• Like 2

Well I need to read ALL of the other threads on this forum. @Jason_Williams said that TrackIR is already supported in CP. 🫡 So, one more piece of gear to buy for my new machine... 🤔🤪😃

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

You realize that video was probably filmed with a GoPro on top of the pilot’s head. The eyepoint looks rather high. Nevertheless many aircraft had adjustable seat heights specifically for landing or bombing. Not sure about the exact ones in CP, maybe that will be a command in-game. Of course TrackIR is indeed an essential for this stuff. 

• Like 2

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Pilots sat on their parachute pack. Wasn't there a rubber raft under that too for certain aircraft? Or was that part of the seat? Or just the "Mae West"? Sitting on the chute would raise you up several inches, giving a much better POV. 

• Like 2

This is a quote from IL2 Sturmovik 3.0 Readme:

Change seat position: this key toggles the pilots seat height between two presets: high and low. This feature is intended for use during take-offs and landing to help look over the aircrafts nose. High position should not be used in combat as it prevents you from using your gunsight. You must open your canopy first before raising your seat.
This function ONLY works on the A6M Zero, F4U Corsairs and F4F/FM Wildcat series of planes. All other planes did not have seat systems that could be controlled by pilot in-flight.
There is no pre-set key for this function, you will need to start the game and select controls. You will then see a list of key commands, scroll down through the list and select the command by clicking on a blank space to its right. Then press the key you wish to bind with that command.

• Like 4