"Midway" what it will be look like?

Hi.

Like we suspect, first module in "CombatPilot" simulator  will be "Midway". There will be; Atoll Midway, carriers, other ships, F4F, A6M, SBD, TBD, B5N, D4Y(all flyable?), Catalina(?), B17(AI) and other great equipment. It's look awsome but. What about career  mode? In Battle of Midway we will have 2-3 days  of action and what else? Some boring patrol missons before and after battle?

Or we start with Midway becouse it's  marketing-atractive  topic, but at first more important will be multiplayer mode?

Edited by Sobilak
  • Like 1

• Sobilak changed the title to "Midway" what it will be look like?
7 hours ago, Sobilak said:

Hi.

Like we suspect, first module in "CombatPilot" simulator  will be "Midway". There will be; Atoll Midway, carriers, other ships, F4F, A6M, SBD, TBD, B5N, D4Y(all flyable?), Catalina(?), B17(AI) and other great equipment. It's look awsome but. What about career  mode? In Battle of Midway we will have 2-3 days  of action and what else? Some boring patrol missons before and after battle?

Or we start with Midway becouse it's  marketing-atractive  topic, but at first more important will be multiplayer mode?

Are these aircraft finalized? If so its a damn fine set.

• Like 1

F4F and A6M are WIP. Same with Enterprise, Akagi and cannons, guns etc.  For carriers we need torpedo and dive bombers. Flyable or AI but they are nessesery. So I think this planset will be made, but I don't know when devs start do it

• Like 1

I would have preferred Guadalcanal to be honest, but Midway is a good starting point to get the basic types in game, and I'm pretty sure after people have done the Midway thing a few times, try to defend the island etc, let's face it, you take off from a carrier instead and try to find the opposition, you don't need an island, your job is to nail an enemy carrier with bombs or torps, or provide air cover if you are in a fighter... that's your job as a navy pilot!

You don't have to fly it historically and then say that's it I'm done, I've flown the missions for 3 days, now I need the next battle, what is it?... lol!

The guys that did this for real had no idea how long the battle would be... it was the job they were trained for and they took off and did it to the best of their ability, in essence, that is what we will do, and as many times as we like... better still, we can have a go at it from both sides, and remember, there will be lots of new planes to learn, combat tactics to practice, taking off and landing not only on land but on carriers to get into our heads as well... as I said, Midway, a good starting point.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I would have preferred Guadalcanal.

Me to. I've always preffered Solomons island's. There was carrier battles, air deffence, grund supporting, and air offensive.

Edited by Sobilak
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would say Midway seems like a good place to start. Keep focus narrow in scope at first and then grow and branch out from there. Midway is a fairly small atoll so landscape work and research resources can be limited to that with the rest of the area being predominantly water.

I would almost view Midway as a proof of concept for this project as a whole. If they can pull this off with high fidelity, I'd say they have a solid foundation to go forward from. I would think rendering carriers to the high degree of detail they appear to be going for will be one of the more challenging aspects. I almost wonder if there would be room for alternative, ahistorical but plausible scenarios, such as the Japanese carriers not being sunk? That might be more in the realm of a dynamic campaign, which I highly doubt they'll start off with! Lol!

Edited by Necrobaron
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to see Midway but I feel like jumping into that as the first battle, if that is what Combat Pilot in fact matures into, is going to the peak of the carrier war right off the bat.  More work required to pull off a believable carrier combat experience.  I think an early war approach would be more easily achieved and would allow us to ease into this, and build up to the big scenarios.

So, the early carrier raids and Coral Sea.  Same basic Aircraft set, and little in the way of major land based combat.  

Coral Sea

A smaller Carrier clash compared to the grand daddy Midway.  Carrier set would be simpler, only one IJN fleet at Coral Sea (Shokaku-class).  Shoho would be needed to be 100%, but I'd argue modelling IJN carriers in detail is the taller task, and she's a light carrier. 

USN would need Yorktown and Saratoga classes, but I'd think both are necessary in any case.  The bigger lift is the 2 different fleet carrier classes for the IJN at Midway.  Not to mention each of the IJN carriers were unique in their own ways.  Plus there was a massive fleet of ships that attended them of many different classes. 

Aircraft set is straight forward.

F4F-3/4   SBD   TBD   and a search plane (though SBDs could play that role)

A6M        D3A    B5N  and a search plane

The Midway operation...

...was massive in scale.  While the USN had Just the Yorktown class, the action itself at Midway was so much more complex, because of the island forces.  There were B-17s, B-26, F2A3, F4F-3, TBFs, SBDs, PBYs and SB2U Vindicators in action.  I think that would be great to have, but the F2A3, PBYs, SB2U and all of the Army Air Corps wouldn't be necessary for a Coral Sea scenario.

Don't doubt, I am all in favor of CP including all this goodness right off the bat.

anyway, just my humble perspective.  In the end I want it all!!!

Edited by Elf
  • Like 6

On 2/13/2024 at 6:17 PM, Sobilak said:

What about career  mode? In Battle of Midway we will have 2-3 days  of action and what else? Some boring patrol missons before and after battle?

Or we start with Midway because it's  marketing-attractive  topic.

That is a really excellent question Sobilak. Right to the heart of the matter. What is the most important aspect for the longterm development and playability of the Sim? One off 'eye candy' battles? Or a realistic campaign mode developed and refined over time?

Hopefully the developers have the second in the forefront of their minds.

In saying that it would make sense to launch with Midway, marketing wise. After all just about anybody who has an interest in this combat sims knows of it. But as this is a  Pacific Theatre sim it cannot stand on Midway alone. A full campaign mode has to be developed in conjunction with Midway, so that after initial release it too can roll out.

The burning question is how will the developers achieve this. Will the Midway release also include Coral Sea and the early carrier raids of '42? So the Midway battle is the culmination? That would make a good campaign. Or will 'Combat Pilot' be a release of stand-alone Module campaigns bought by the player as add-ons; eg Midway first, perhaps Gualadcanal next, followed by New Guinea and so on.

It'll be interesting to see how the game develops in the year ahead. Only time will tell.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Boom said:

The burning question is how will the developers achieve this. Will the Midway release also include Coral Sea and the early carrier raids of '42? So the Midway battle is the culmination? That would make a good campaign. Or will 'Combat Pilot' be a release of stand-alone Module campaigns bought by the player as add-ons; eg Midway first, perhaps Guadalcanal next, followed by New Guinea and so on.

It'll be interesting to see how the game develops in the year ahead. Only time will tell.

I expect this game will be a little like Star Wars, starting in the middle of the story...

image.png.e08dd9bc1bb83c9107660261c865cb50.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

What we are discussing is the biggest problem with carrier based campaign play.  They were short.  Two to four days, then back to Pearl or Yokohama to replenish and lick your wounds.  Not the best scenario for long term single player satisfaction, though it will work well in multiplayer.

Contrast that with the Solomons or New Guinea, which gives you months to years of campaign game play.

Midway makes sense as an introduction to the new sim, but will quickly have to shift to a land based scenario to give sustainable opportunities for offline play.

It will be interesting to see how it progresses.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Pacific Sig.jpg