DCS and DCS WWII

8 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

If you are into flying helicopters... make sure you have these two books in your collection... they are gold!

image.thumb.jpeg.fd3c4dab9fc2ff9a1e33975376319089.jpeg

image.jpeg.191c0d2097947aa9a3958a22111de77f.jpeg

ChickenHawk is great.  I read that when I was fully in on the Huey a few years ago.  Really helped fuel the fire when flying that mod!

• Like 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

59 minutes ago, Sea Serpent said:

Nobody should ever get a helicopter in DCS ever, without first being competent in the UH-1 first, imho.  They will be so much better in every other helicopter if they are.

Would agree, the Huey is a must for a first time DCS chopper pilot.  (I went the Mi-8, and then AH-64 on my chopper path...)

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

4 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

It will get sorted and things will resume... be sure!

I’m not, unfortunately.  Whatever their contractual dispute, I’m not sure if it was a great move by RB to take it to the customers in the way they did.  And, if it winds up in a court, how long could that take?  As of recently, the early access F-15E was the plane I was most into, and actively learning.  I can keep on plugging away with it, obviously, but now I wonder if it will be left in an incomplete state.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sea Serpent said:

now I wonder if it will be left in an incomplete state.

With the way video game development is now this was always going to be the case. Years and years and years of continuous improvement and tweaking.  I have been doing some of the F-15E as well and honestly not worried about it at all. By the time I get even close to competent with what is already there, this will be a distant memory. If nothing else is added I will still have gotten my money's worth out of it, if more is added then great.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope you’re right.  But DCS World is updated frequently, and if a module becomes abandonware, it very well might not work for long.  After reading all this drama today, which appears worse than yesterday, I’m inclined to shift my DCS focus towards modules I’m more confident will be supported in the long term.  At least for now.  And I also won’t  be holding my breath waiting for a MiG-23 or the Miltech-5/Razbam Bo-105.

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Thanks 1

All I have from Razbam is the MiG-19, so for me any forthcoming drama will not affect me much... but for others, who may have bought all their products so far it may have much more of an impact if things go south.

Of course there are their future modules as well that could be impacted... ED has stated they will not be pulling the F-15E from the store, as some punters are sticking their oar in stirring the pot that it should be removed as it may not be completed... sad stuff, but hopefully some sort of agreement may be arranged once the heat has died down and reality kicks in. 

• Like 1

Just checked, I have 4.  The Harrier, South Atlantic, MiG-19, and the M-2000. Lots of drama going on, but whatever.  I'm not losing sleep over it. 

• Like 2

Just read some potentially good news on r/hoggit:  Razbam has made a brief statement, reassuring their customers, and affirming their intention to work with ED to resolve the issue.  I hope this works out.  They have some very nice planes in DCS.

• Like 3

Not 100% decided, but I think I’m going to pass on it too.  I’m not afraid of complexity, but I just have too many aircraft to either learn or relearn.  If I get the urge to fly an air assault chopper, which I occasionally do, I’m inclined to skip the difficult looking learning curve, and use the familiar Mi-8 or UH-1, which also have much larger chronological footprints.  If they had made a D or something, I’d snatch it up in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Someday, I'd like to do multi-crew in the Mi-8.  I used to fly it online, but that was before it had multi-crew capabilities.  I guess you can have up to 5 people in it now?  Anyway, just an attack run on some soft and easy targets (w/ 23mm gunpods), to get the feel back.  You would almost never overfly the targets, but this was just practice.  It doesn’t look so bad from the cockpit to me, but from the screenshots, I think the Caucasus terrain and the Mi-8 may both be showing their age.  This and the Blackshark are still my favorite helicopters in DCS.

mi-8-3C.thumb.jpg.6643c8c308ed119f5480bf72cb182caa.jpg

mi-8-5C.thumb.jpg.347b61299940567afc4334a2507c6802.jpg

mi-8-4C.thumb.jpg.7d511bb971995b894897c43885ddbbfd.jpg

Edited by Sea Serpent
Mi-8 reminds me a bit of the Millennium Falcon inside.
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

Someday, I'd like to do multi-crew in the Mi-8.  I used to fly it online, but that was before it had multi-crew capabilities.  I guess you can have up to 5 people in it now?  Anyway, just an attack run on some soft and easy targets (w/ 23mm gunpods), to get the feel back.  You would almost never overfly the targets, but this was just practice.  It doesn’t look so bad from the cockpit to me, but from the screenshots, I think the Caucasus terrain and the Mi-8 may both be showing their age.  This and the Blackshark are still my favorite helicopters in DCS.

mi-8-3C.thumb.jpg.6643c8c308ed119f5480bf72cb182caa.jpg

mi-8-5C.thumb.jpg.347b61299940567afc4334a2507c6802.jpg

mi-8-4C.thumb.jpg.7d511bb971995b894897c43885ddbbfd.jpg

I can absolutely recommend Bartheks terrain mod. This enhances the visual quality dramaticaly. 

• Like 3