DCS and DCS WWII

Nice fat bigly patch for DCS dropped. Lots of fixes and lots of progress for the EA modules and some maps.

Syria got a nice update but sadly the patch, whilst large, wasnt big enough to crush the crappy fuzzy felt mountains and tundras in Kola and Nafghanistan, both of which continue to get a good spanking in the quality dept by Syria in my book. Kola looks better around some airfields (there, I said something nice about it) but the airfieds still look shite compared to pre-release media OrbX punted out when conning us into buying it, sight unseen. Best experienced from an SR71 I think. 

Early days for the touted improvments in performance but experiences in VR range from "this is the second coming" to "it broke my game".

Experiences for non VR users tend to centre on wishing VR users wouldnt make every thread about themselves. Sadly, like fuzzy felt mountains, I fear this is now the way of things. 

YMMV 🙂 

• Like 2

was happy to see they fixed the mouse/dpi latency thingy.  I flew yesterday, (VR), and all was good...

• Like 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

Anyone that is stupid enough to fly those things into an 'assault' deserves to die... 💀⚰️

It costs less than the average VR PC needed to play DCS and can punt 4 anti-tank missiles. 25 of them suddenly popping up in front of your shiney armoured column might not be as funny as first appears.... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

Anyone that is stupid enough to fly those things into an 'assault' deserves to die... 💀⚰️

desertcross.jpg.aaf7cc5ddaf0b4ed8bffe056cb2991ea.jpg

Some are using ordinary quad trucks. I think adding flight is an upgrade. Then again, is a gyrocopter faster than a drone? It's an evil world outside of your Bradley...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Boo said:

Indeed this was a nice treat.  I've been flying in Syria a lot recently.  Looking forward to checking this out!

• Like 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

3 minutes ago, javelina said:

Indeed this was a nice treat.  I've been flying in Syria a lot recently.  Looking forward to checking this out!

It took me a long time to warm to the map but, over time, its matured into probably the best modern map in the game.  Clearly something Ugra is keen to keep relevent which is encouraging.

• Like 6

Continuing conversation from the other thread about JF-17 @Trooper117 @Boo

It's certainly one of the DCS aircraft I'll never ever buy, that's for sure!

The Thunder gets this reaction from a lot of people, but I don’t understand why.  It’s not supposed to be better than the F-16, it’s supposed to complement it in the PAF.  It’s like a modern day equivalent of the F-5 or a very Westernized MiG-21.  It’s ultimately just one of dozens of aircraft in DCS of various capabilities, from many different eras. Not every plane is a Viper or Hornet! Yet I’ve read more than a few people declare they won’t even consider it.  Why?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Serpent said:

Continuing conversation from the other thread about JF-17 @Trooper117 @Boo

Why?

Well......first up its beige. I mean really beige. Beige in a way that even other dull grey aircraft would look and go "you beige". 

Then there is the matter that it really doesnt do anything different or unique nor is it iconic. The MiG21 has its charms in its limitations, the Viggen in its whacky computer and weapons, the harrier in its vstol and its "soul". The JF17 just kinda sits in the middle of everything.

Finally there's the graphics. The cockpit wasnt too great when it was released from what I saw. It looks better now but its not outstanding by any stretch. Of course I fly the hip (or did) so I cant say a lot but then the Hip is far more than the sum of its parts. 

• Like 1

Every plane in DCS has a unique character though…how are people so sure the JF has no soul if they’ve never flown it, and wouldn’t consider it?  I know it’s all subjective, but the very fact that it isn’t an Uberplane, but is like a Jack of All Trades/Master of None (an entry level, user friendly, export-market Gen 4 strike fighter) is precisely part of its charm.  You can beat a Hornet or a Falcon in it, but you’re disadvantaged and you have to be smart.  I know I’m not going to convince any of the naysayers, but….i consider it a “must-have” in the DCS world.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

The Thunder gets this reaction from a lot of people, but I don’t understand why.

I only buy aircraft that I have a genuine interest in, that's the only reason really... so there are quite a few in DCS I'll never ever buy.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

I only buy aircraft that I have a genuine interest in, that's the only reason really... so there are quite a few in DCS I'll never ever buy.

I totally agree with that, but was just curious because I’ve noticed reactions to the JF-17 tend to not be “meh” from a lack of interest, but actually somewhat hostile towards it, compared to say, for example, the C-101, a tubby little trainer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

Every plane in DCS has a unique character though…how are people so sure the JF has no soul if they’ve never flown it, and wouldn’t consider it?  I know it’s all subjective, but the very fact that it isn’t an Uberplane, but is like a Jack of All Trades/Master of None (an entry level, user friendly, export-market Gen 4 strike fighter) is precisely part of its charm.  You can beat a Hornet or a Falcon in it, but you’re disadvantaged and you have to be smart.  I know I’m not going to convince any of the naysayers, but….i consider it a “must-have” in the DCS world.

I think its less the plane and more the Gen 4 nature of it. Im already over saturated with MFDs in grey stuff I dont fly. I dont see any justification in adding another hangar queen to the collection or lining the pockets of ED for no reason given the dissappointments of this year so far. 

I should also add that my comments in the Guess the Bird thread were not about DCS but the bland nature of what the JF17 is in reality and the fact its really not very good at anything outside of subjugating peasants and popping off the occasional long in the tooth 21. 

But each to their own and long may it be so. 

Edited by Boo
  • Like 1

That’s fair enough, but who are “the Peasants” that you and Zacharias refer to?  India and Pakistan are Nuclear nations with a history of warfare between them, so I assume the Thunder was acquired with an eye to taking on the Indian Air Force?  With the exception of the rationale for George Harrison’s Concert for Bangladesh, and the origin of Cannabis Indica, I admit to knowing very little about the region!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

That’s fair enough, but who are “the Peasants” that you and Zacharias refer to?  India and Pakistan are Nuclear nations with a history of warfare between them, so I assume the Thunder was acquired with an eye to taking on the Indian Air Force?  With the exception of the rationale for George Harrison’s Concert for Bangladesh, and the origin of Cannabis Indica, I admit to knowing very little about the region!!!

Myanmar. Fortunately most seem to have been grounded despite being less than 6 years old. 

Edited by Boo
  • Like 1