Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Viper said:

I have a Thrustmaster T-FLIGHT HOTAS and it runs very well

Another possible option for a HOTAS system when our MS FFB 2 sticks eventually fail. Until that personally disastrous day happens I do hope for continued MS FFB 2 support in the sims I play. :classic_cool:

Wheels

• Like 5

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

4 hours ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

Another possible option for a HOTAS system when our MS FFB 2 sticks eventually fail. Until that personally disastrous day happens I do hope for continued MS FFB 2 support in the sims I play. :classic_cool:

Wheels

I think that depend on the software. And software has supported force feedback for a decade + 

Missing that in a new software can’t even be possible 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, sercrets said:

Maybe this Christmas

You are about twenty-five Christmas's too late for a new one. ☹️

Hello and welcome to the forums @sercrets. :wave:

Wheels

Edited by wheelsup_cavu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the MSFFB2 in every sim that has FFB.
Likewise I've used my VPForce Rhino FFB in every sim that has FFB.
Both has sensors to register movement like any other stick, and both has driverboards & motors to receive and effectuate FFB, it's all up to the game to send the FFB telemetry to the stick 🙂 
Really it comes down to if Combat Pilot plans to implement FFB, so that's the biggest question really.

• Like 2

I've 2 of them but switched to Virpil. In IL-2 GB the FFB was hit and miss. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't without changing anything.

In DCS it was pretty good with a few hiccups here and there.

My biggest gripe with the Sidewinder and why I finally changed was the lack of buttons and hats. It is ok for WW2 but anything after it's kinda difficult imo.

• Like 2

Just now, golani79 said:

I've 2 of them but switched to Virpil. In IL-2 GB the FFB was hit and miss. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't without changing anything.

In DCS it was pretty good with a few hiccups here and there.

My biggest gripe with the Sidewinder and why I finally changed was the lack of buttons and hats. It is ok for WW2 but anything after it's kinda difficult imo.

Never had an issue with FFB in IL-2, important not to let Windows screw with USB devices in the power plan and individual USB devices entries in device manager though.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2023 at 6:12 AM, Boom said:

Luv the fact that so many here still use the classic Microsoft FFB stick!

I've since moved over to the VPForce Rhino, but I still keep the MSFFB2 in reserve and for my retro PC's.
Hope they can make FFB sticks in that price-class again, for what you get with 100-150 bucks, the equivalent of TrackIR, the two combined with a bit of practice and most expert virtual pilots will think twice before taking you on fair'n square.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

Youch, she do be a bit pricey. 😱

Wheels

Indeed .. think I googled it a while ago but threw away my plan of eventually buying one after I saw the price tag 🤣

But who knows what the future will bring ^^

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Still using MS FFB2, so many years later. It was incredible on European Air War, which was released in 1998. The feel of the stick letting go as you are about to enter a stall, or tighten up in a high speed dive really connects you to what's happening. Seems a pity that FF isn't ubiquitous on sticks for flight sims these days. 

Edited by Major Lee
Spelling
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

FFB seems to be having something of a revival (albeit an expensive one). I started with a sidewinder in CloD and, once I nailed the proedure for sorting out its quirks when firing the canons on the 109, I loved it. It had limited use in DCS as I was more into helos and it was nowhere near sensitive enough. Its use in Great battles was less enjoyable and did odd things like restricting the  trim tange in the JU88. It also crashed a lot, requiring game reboots. Thats when I went Virpil which ive been very happy with on the whole. 

Now Im (just) 800 units away from a Rhino and really hoping FFB in CB is not only a thing but a good thing. FFB in a warbird sim is an essential element i think. . 

• Like 1