On 5/22/2023 at 3:12 PM, HerrMurf said:

This model is by Jason Hsiao. It showed up in my feed earlier this year and then again yesterday. Diorama is titled Frozen Kodiak Bay. Seemed like a good omen......

(Pics and model are not mine. Posted with permission from Jason Hsiao)

Jason Hsiao PBY.jpg

Jason Hsiao PBY (a).jpg

Jason Hsiao PBY (b).jpg

Jason Hsiao PBY (c).jpg

Jason Hsiao PBY (d).jpg

Geeeez…I thought that first pic was IRL!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Awfully quite in here. Time to change that!
Here's my WIP: Tamiya's 1:48 Nakajima J1N1-Sa Gekkō. (Interior completed.)

It's my first serious scale model attempt, so any tips are welcome. (Did some as a kid, but only glued them together, since paint was too expensive.)

I know I should use masking tape, but doing that cockpit without any was a fun challenge.
Not too happy with the decals, but learned of the existence of decal setting solutions today so I ordered some.

Fuselage:

QGk89sw.jpg

Main cockpit and seats:

PCLHcZF.jpg

Some extra cockpit parts:

Je4gqUl.jpg

Forward up-firing cannons:

AMzZsUK.jpg

• Like 5

nice work SARF...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Finished my Gekkō! :salute:

Used a spray can for the main exterior colour, but everything else was hand painted.
There's a few things I'm not happy with (my canopy masking skills, decal skills, etc...) but overall I think it could be a lot worse.

Was a bit demotivated when I realised I was missing an engine cowl. Had the kit for several years, so I probably misplaced it... Tamiya wants €20 to replace it and claim it could take up to two months to arrive since it would have to be a special order. Won't bother with that. (Tempted to just rebuy the same kit anyway, so I could have another go at it once I have more experience.)

If I ever try dioramas, I could also just pretend maintenance is taking place (even if it looks a bit goofy) or maybe turn it into a crashed aircraft.

Next project will either be a 1:48 Kawanishi N1K1-Ja Shiden Type 11 or a 1:72 U-Boat Type VII C.

2zfd1vF.jpg

QI6wCCn.jpg

tfT0U70.jpg

VAiU9Qi.jpg

Edited by Aruberikku
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Aruberikku said:

Was a bit demotivated when I realised I was missing an engine cowl.

Shame you don't have the dimensions for the cowling and know someone with a 3D printer. Might be an interesting challenge for them to try and make one.

Wheels

• Like 2

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

1 hour ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

Shame you don't have the dimensions for the cowling and know someone with a 3D printer. Might be an interesting challenge for them to try and make one.

Wheels

Wish I thought of this earlier. 🤔 I had the other cowling, but it's glued on now.

Edited by Aruberikku
  • Like 1