Curtiss P-40

Boom

Ever since Combat Pilot had been announced, I've been thinking of what aircraft I would like to fly. Above all others.

And that's a tough one. There are so many I am looking forward to fly. Besides all the usual suspects the Buffalo, Boomerang, Ki-44, Ki-43, Lockheed Hudson and TBF are all very high on the list.

And then I had a moment of enlightenment. What aircraft have I flown more than any other in the IL-2 series? Or in Cliffs Of Dover Desert Wings? What aircraft is my go to?

The P-40 C and E. In their various versions I've easily put in treble hours compared to any other aircraft. Why? I honestly can't answer that, other than to say that it gels with my style of flying more than any other aircraft. Certainly if flown to it's strengths it's a match for most.

I luv it.

RAAF-P-40-E.K-KITTYHAWK.jpeg

HD-wallpaper-tomahawk-in-action-p-40-tomahawk-warbird-fighter.jpg

2dac00a28cc20891d781c92c8e89e505.jpg

Edited by Boom
  • Like 5

Yeah, I've said it before and I say it again, as much as I like carrier operations, nothing goes above operating a weathered, worn P-40 from a strip of dirt in the middle of some jungle.

It's by far my favourite aircraft but the last 15 years I have hardly flown it as the in only modern sim where you have one, it feels a bit out of place and it wasn't really used as a primary front line fighter in the given battle.

Where it really shines was in the Pacific/CBI theater. So, hopefully, we'll get one in Combat Pilot one day.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

Edited by FlyingShark
  • Like 4

@Boom You sir are obviously a man of impeccable taste.  The Curtiss Hawks have been my favorite fighters for as long as I can remember.

Like most here, I found the P40E In Il2 GB was a complete let down.  It feels like they removed the V1710 and replaced it with a 100bhp Lycoming from an old Cessna, with just enough oil in it to run at economical cruise, for a short time.

This flys in the face of how every air force that operated the Hawks actually used them, including the VVS.

I hope that when the Hawk 75s, 81s, and 87s arrive in Combat Pilot that they get the performance that they deserve.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
spelling, what I get for posting before my first coffee.
  • Like 9

Pacific Sig.jpg

On 8/20/2023 at 5:56 AM, Feldgrün said:

Flying a P-40E in IL2 GB, I was not impressed. It's a stinker of an aircraft that is bad at nearly everything. 

Flying a P-40E (Kittyhawk Mk IA) in IL2 CloD/DW, I was really impressed. It's an excellent aircraft that excelled at nearly everything. 

But which one is right?  I have only flown it in IL2 GB, and it is a real stinker.  Unlike what you found in IL2 CloD/DW, history seems to show that it did not excel at nearly everything.  If a P-40 is in the theater, I will be the one flying the A6M.

On 8/20/2023 at 7:56 PM, Feldgrün said:

Flying a P-40E (Kittyhawk Mk IA) in IL2 CloD/DW, I was really impressed. It's an excellent aircraft that excelled at nearly everything. 

Agree wholeheartedly Feldgrun. In Desert Wings you can fly the P-40 by the numbers, and gain the performance as shown by official reports. Indeed I've found it to be very close to the charts in 'America's Hundred Thousand'; the bible as far as I'm concerned on America fighter performance. 

And yes, even if modelled correctly in Combat Pilot, it will be tough against IJA and IJN opponets. But by no means impossible to win through.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spreckair said:

But which one is right?  I have only flown it in IL2 GB, and it is a real stinker.  Unlike what you found in IL2 CloD/DW, history seems to show that it did not excel at nearly everything.  If a P-40 is in the theater, I will be the one flying the A6M.

In GB the P-40E is not nearly as fast or maneuverable as anything else, and it can't climb worth a crap.

The P-40B did quite well against the early A6Ms in China (Flying Tigers) when used as a BnZ fighter. But if it's a turn fight, the Zero wins.

2 hours ago, Boom said:

Agree wholeheartedly Feldgrun. In Desert Wings you can fly the P-40 by the numbers, and gain the performance as shown by official reports. Indeed I've found it to be very close to the charts in 'America's Hundred Thousand'; the bible as far as I'm concerned on America fighter performance. 

And yes, even if modelled correctly in Combat Pilot, it will be tough against IJA and IJN opponets. But by no means impossible to win through.

In CloD/DW, the Tomahawk is a fair match against Bf 109Es. If we're talking about unfair matches, the F4F Wildcat was outmatched by the A6M and Ki-43, but it prevailed by use of better tactics, communication, numbers, and by using the excellent wing-mounted .50 cals. 

• Like 2

In evaluating the P40E in GB, you have to understand that it uses performance parameters outlined in the pilot's manual used by the USAAC for training units in the continental US. And it is unrealistically hampered by the hyper restrictive engine timer mechanic used in that sim.

In operational use the  V1710 in the E was able to be used at high manifold pressures for extended periods. US and Commonwealth units are documented to have run these engines as high as 70 inches of manifold pressure, for extended run times, without issue.  That equates to around 1700bhp at sea level.

I'm not saying the P40E was perfect, or utterly dominant, but the real aircraft cannot be judged by the hollowed out husk of a fighter we have in the other sim.

• Like 9

Pacific Sig.jpg