Appreciating my "1G Cockpit"

Varibraun

8 hours ago, Varibraun said:

but this one is still definitely worth a double post!

Absolutely... great video, and notice how the pilot gets to check his six and keep situational awareness, keeping a good lookout behind.

He's not tightly strapped into the seat... remember all the complaints that used to come from people about TrackIR, lol!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Absolutely... great video, and notice how the pilot gets to check his six and keep situational awareness, keeping a good lookout behind.

He's not tightly strapped into the seat... remember all the complaints that used to come from people about TrackIR, lol!

Yeah, I had exactly that same thought when watching it about that ongoing debate about TrackIR and VRNecksafer.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing. He made me chuckle with his comments about 12 hours of mission planning and up to 4 hours of debriefing. Ummm things have changed a lot since I was living that dream. Back in the Jurassic era maybe 4 to plan and no more than 60 minutes of debriefing.

:salute:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Executive Producer Skystreak Productions

And what's cool is these guys fly over my house everyday and during Red Flag it's a non-stop airshow on my driveway.

Jason

P.S. watching that video, the spotting in that game is whack!!!! 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

And what's cool is these guys fly over my house everyday and during Red Flag it's a non-stop airshow on my driveway.

Jason

P.S. watching that video, the spotting in that game is whack!!!! 🙂

Reminds me of something Dart said in a SimHQ article he wrote in 2010.

Flight Sim to Flight Line by Frank "Dart" Giger

Draw distance for other aircraft needs to be improved. While I spotted a helicopter at five miles, it started out as a small black dot above the horizon and was very slow to resolve to a recognizable shape. A white Citation was invisible to both the instructor and me even though we were told where it was until less than a quarter mile away — and it was only 1000 feet lower than us! Something is screwy when you can’t see a white plane over green forests at one o’clock in the afternoon in clear skies.

He even gave RoF a nice plug in the article.

Reaction to turbulence was reflexive. Thank you, Rise of Flight, for those horrible rainstorm missions in the Nieuport 17. I cursed you the whole way, but in the rolling air of an afternoon Alabama sky in July it paid off — I wasn’t shaken by it and neither over reacted or let it bully me.

Wheels

Edited by wheelsup_cavu
Fixed link to SimHQ article
  • Like 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

22 hours ago, Boba Fett said:

Anyone have contact with Dart? I've always wanted to thank him for his excellent air combat videos in his twangy down home style.

Dart still hangs around at SimHQ.

He had a plane crash with his home built and some health issues in the last few years but he did post at SimHQ in May saying he was still on the mend from neck surgery last year.

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4626536#Post4626536

Thanks for the call.....just slowly healing.

Wheels

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

• 5 months later...
On 7/30/2023 at 7:03 AM, Boba Fett said:

Anyone have contact with Dart? I've always wanted to thank him for his excellent air combat videos in his twangy down home style.

Can you link to any of Dart's air combat videos? I'd love to see them (and wonder if I already have seen them).

On 1/7/2024 at 3:28 PM, Feldgrün said:

Can you link to any of Dart's air combat videos? I'd love to see them (and wonder if I already have seen them).

abadgaem uploaded Dart's videos to YouTube roughly 13 years ago.
IL-2 Sturmovik: Dart's Guides: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL23ABD7CBB962A977

Here is a link to Dart's webpage at the Internet Archive dated February 25, 2009.
Several of the files can still be downloaded from the Internet Archive link.

Wheels

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is the Playists section of Dart's YouTube channel @Boba Fett and @Feldgrün.

https://www.youtube.com/@EntropyUnlimited/playlists

There are several videos of him flying his Nieuport 11 home built and the repairs he was doing to it after his minor incident.

If you go to the Videos section of his YouTube channel and scroll to the bottom there are some Rise of Flight and IL-2 Sturmovik videos.

https://www.youtube.com/@EntropyUnlimited/videos

Wheels

• Thanks 2