Pacific War Aviation Artwork- (not screenshots/game images or real life photos) - Share your favourites

Mysticpuma

Of all the fantastic artwork on show in this thread, this one of the P-40 is my favourite. So much so that I contacted the artist, Barry Spicer, and bought a print off him.

I think the reason why I like it so much is that is gives a realistic impression of speed and danger, especially as the background has been cleverly blurred to create the perception of low, fast movement. 

When I contacted Barry to buy the print, he was kind enough to give me the background to the artwork.

"I was introduced to Colin by a close friend and had a few lengthy conversations with him before starting the painting, which was one of five I did for a local exhibition depicting locals who fought in war, entitled 'Lest we forget'.

He lived in his own home, still cooked and gardened and wore a shirt and tie everyday. He was 99 when I met him and passed away just before his 100th Birthday.

We showed him a video he hadn't seen before, 'Island target', made during the war and showcasing P-40's around New Guinea. He was completely absorbed with it, recognised other squadron members and got very excited. It was a great and memorable experience.

He loved the painting very much and signed a few prints. His son purchased the original and it's now hung at the local yachting club of which Colin was an honorary member."

And provided this great photo of Colin and himself. Really add to the poignancy of the artwork.

Adams.jpg

Barry & Colin.jpg

Edited by Boom
  • Like 4

Artwork by Daryl Legg as described by him below:

"Hi all. This is my latest work featuring a Lockheed P-38G Lightning, "Jungle Queen" 80th Fighter Squadron ("The Headhunters").

I am seldom requested to paint ground scenes and this is something different, but I loved it. It was an oportunity to practice my figure painting too.

Although these 80th FS P-38's were based at Mareeba, Australia for a time, the clients wish was for the background to feature Pacific palm trees, always associated with this theatre of operations.

Acrylic on canvas, 36"x 17.5"

363381504_6489946057788187_5184101129471370527_n.thumb.jpg.5d57e1d51eac94b633759508a5629e01.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Feldgrün said:

image.thumb.jpeg.4fce41426c13ad9db264dfdc374a9ce2.jpeg

Don't worry, one day I will avenge ye!  😁

• Haha 3

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

From the artist :

"Goodmorning  everyone  here is my laterest oil painting I have ready to show and sell. Titled Against The Odds. It shows an F2A-3 Buffalo fighter from VMF-221 at Midway Island during the battle against the Imperial  Japanese  Navy. June 4th 1942. This plane  was flown by 2nd Lt. Charles  M. Kunz USMCR. Lt. Kunz was awarded the Navy Cross for action  he did during the battle. He was able to  shoot down  two Aichi D3A1 Val divebombers.Before being severely  wounded."

FB_IMG_1691438352481.thumb.jpg.c4d37dce69222acc9b963ea09377ea8d.jpg

• Like 4

@Blitzen

"Before the Storm" by James Dietz

From the artist:

"As a ‘heads-up’ Aces High Gallery is officially launching BEFORE THE STORM today…

In collaboration with my friends  at the Military Gallery and Aces High Gallery in the UK, today marks the publication of BEFORE THE STORM in tribute to the legendary AVG ‘Flying Tigers’ operating from Burma in early 1941.
Prints & Artist Proofs are available to order, with some also issued matted to include original autographs of AVG pilots.
Contact Aces High Gallery at: https://www.aces-high.com  (you can contact Aces High Gallery or me directly for information on the availability of Art Proofs.)"

FB_IMG_1691607646398.thumb.jpg.78c6a6c82a799df6a362630db2e5a61b.jpg

Edited by Mysticpuma
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...