Bristol Beaufighter......

Boom

There's something about this aircraft that constantly draws me too it. I luv flying it.

It's a big, brutish aircraft. It's not outstanding in any one area; it's not really fast, it's heavy on the controls. Nevertheless it performs well in strike tasks. And that is courtesy of it's massive firepower with four (4) cannon, four (4) mg and eight rockets. 

But........

Given it was originally designed as a heavy fighter, it has to have the 'worst' view from the cockpit of any twin engine strike/fighter aircraft of the war. The pilot has excellent vision directly ahead, but vision the the sides and above doesn't extend past 90 degrees!

Even in the HS 129, the pilot can at least see 130 degrees to the side. Bf 110, Pe-2/3, Mosquito, J1N1, Ki-46 and Ki-46; all have superior vision.

So how did pilots fight in it and maintain situational awareness? The cockpit is massive in width, so once the pilot is strapped in it's not as if he can wriggle around to look rearwards. 

A couple of books I've read recently go someway to explaining the above:
Gordon Olive RAAF wrote a book titled 'Spitfire Ace'. He flew during the BoB, then in '41 was promoted as Squadron Leader to a  Beaufighter night fighter squadron (456 Sq). He describes his first impressions of the view from the cockpit of the Beaufighter as "horrible. I could see brilliantly to the front and side. But no rear vision at all. It made my skin crawl, and I never got used to it. Fortunately we only flew at night".

Search and Destroy, by William Mann. Details the operations of 31 Squadron RAAF, which operated the Beaufighter out of Coomalie Creek, just south of Darwin. 31 Sq. flew strike missions against Timor and the Dutch East Indies, from November '42 to war's end. The restricted view is often commented upon. To improve the view pilots usually flew with only a lap belt; it kept them in the seat during violent maneuvers, but allowed the pilot to twist and look to the side more easily. Many Beaufighter's were modified by their crews, having large cut-outs just behind the cockpit and fitted with glass, improving rearward view.

• Like 2

Like you, I find the Beafighter to be a super interesting plane. To me, it's like a piston-engined A-7 Corsair. Ugly, ungainly things that pack a punch. 

In my admittedly limited time flying the module in DCS, I've found the callouts by backseater Jester to be pretty valuable and immersive. In fact, I've been asked by the wife, "Who are you talking to?" while playing the sim. Perhaps something similar could be implemented in CP? In my mind, instead of Jester, most fittingly, the AI companion observer/navigator could be an ultra-British-like name such as Basil or Nigel. Following a cursory search of Beaufighter crews, however, the observer/navigator should probably have the mundane name of David, Henry, Jack, or Bob though ha ha.

P.S. This is certainly not a demand for such implementation. Be a lot cooler if you did. 

Edited by Thelivdoc44
word choice
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Thelivdoc44 said:

the AI companion observer/navigator could be an ultra-British-like name such as Basil or Nigel. Following a cursory search of Beaufighter crews, however, the observer/navigator should probably have the mundane name of David, Henry, Jack, or Bob though ha ha

When it comes to unusual names of beaufighter crews, you can consider the successful Czech night fighter crew of Miloslav Mansfeld and his radar operator Slavomil Janáček. 😀 Of course, it was a different theatre. 

Edited by Calos_01
  • Like 2

I have a soft spot for the Beaufighter, quite an interesting operational history. 

I read some memories of aircrews which flew Beaufighters at some point of their careers. I recommend the following books in particular:

• "Beaufighters over sea, sand, and steaming jungles" by Jack Colman;
  • "Whispering Death" by Lee Heide;
Edited by Jaguar
  • Like 2