Mtb (enduro, dh, trail, xc)

Ribbon

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently my once mighty Stumpy FSR is now a relic. According to all the websites its positvley dangerous and almost not worth getting on. 26" wheels and a three ring front end are likely to either result in an instant sympathy whipround on the trail or a clubbing to death. 

The solution appears to be to spend a minimum of £3500 on something new.  

Oddly - felt fine when last I rode it in 2019

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Boo said:

So apparently my once mighty Stumpy FSR is now a relic. According to all the websites its positvley dangerous and almost not worth getting on. 26" wheels and a three ring front end are likely to either result in an instant sympathy whipround on the trail or a clubbing to death. 

The solution appears to be to spend a minimum of £3500 on something new.  

Oddly - felt fine when last I rode it in 2019

Scr*w 'em!  my 2005 FS Titus Switchblade still is getting it done.  Though I'd like a new bike....  🙂

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

9 hours ago, javelina said:

Scr*w 'em!  my 2005 FS Titus Switchblade still is getting it done.  Though I'd like a new bike....  🙂

Its as with any hobby journalism. Bigger, Better, faster buy buy buy

Just getting the Stumpy back on the track though will be a £500 job (two shock rebuilds, new bearings on the linkage, at least one brake complete, new tyres, new large BETD front ring etc) so its not far short of half the price of decent modern hardtail or even a good S/H 2 or 3 year old Stumpy. 

Add in a Cycle to Work scheme where I dont have to do go to halfords and that Whyte T-160RS starts to look tempting......

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

OMG, that much for a bike???... 

I think for the majority of casual and semi caual UK riders a 700 quid Voodoo or Carerra from halfords woud be more than enough for the family focussed that trails we have.  Go on Ebay and £300 can get you a great S/H bike in great conditition. Lot of good hard tails in that price range. Back in the day my little group were all knocking about on £1500-£2500 bikes and having our arses handed to us by skilled riders on far older and cheaper bikes, often wihout any suspension at all. My nickname on the trail was "StuG" as I tended to go through the terrain rather than over it. 🙂 

I guess its easier to sposh out £3000 on a bike and feel good than spend hour after hour on your fitness to actually be good. Hence, why Im now eyeing up £3000 bikes!! 🙂 

• Haha 4