Battleships to model...

On 5/20/2023 at 11:10 AM, Ohka said:

I think it would be best to avoid a "WWII Assets Pack" model for AI units.

I trust that Jason has a pretty good sense for how to make these things economical. I, for one, don't mind if we don't get a perfect roster of ships to bomb so long as we have good representatives for each ship class while getting the critical ships like Yorktown and Akagi individually modeled.

If there was a way to have a specific model get a more generic version substituted in its place, I think collector assets could be ok, but yea, above all I hope to see the RoF/Il-2 style of ownership preserved, IE not owning something won't mean a mission is unplayable.

• Like 1

I have to admit that I'm not really fussed about what ships are depicted, as long as there is a good spread of 'types' within the sim.

I would be more concerned as to how that appear in the sim. That is, the wake of the ships (always done poorly in sims to date IMHO), and cohesion and reaction to air attacks. Accurate evasive maneuvers is very important eg hard turning destroyers and cruisers as opposed to more ponderous aircraft carriers and battleships. Same for the integrity of AAA. 

Those features in my mind would add more to the immersion of the sim.

• Like 1

I hope this new engine can give us a smooth experience with these types of ships. I remember flying Pacific Fighters with the lots of ships, and the AAA could turn even great computers into a slide show. There are A LOT of guns on these boats. :AR15:

• Like 1

DCS and Il-2/ROF both have the same setup--you can fly in any mission with any plane as an AI, but you need to own it to get in the cockpit. DCS of course requires you to own a map to fly in it period, while Il-2 allows you to fly on any map if it's someone else's server, but you can't host a flight on it or fly it offline if you don't own it.

The only issue is if there are only a few flyables and you own none of them.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 6:08 PM, BlitzPig_EL said:

She served as Admiral Lee's flagship for most of the war, is an excellent example of US battleship design practice, and her amazing gunnery performance at night in the Second Battle of Savo Island turned Kirishima in to so much scrap metal, scoring 19 to 20 (depending on source) direct hits with 16" super heavy armor piercing shells, and over 40 5" hits on Kirishima's superstructure in a very short time.

USS_Washington_(BB-56)_small_1945.jpg.0c73d1ea2d90b01f96ae418f87858c33.jpg

Wasn’t Ching Lee the master sharp shooter with any size ‘rifle’?

• Thanks 2