Target Rabaul Dev Team (Peril)

Peril

Hi all, for those that don't know me I was involved with the Targetware simulator team, and developed the Pacific Theatre based 'Target Rabaul'.

My role was R & D, accruing creditable FM data for Japanese and Allied Aircraft, creating the flight models and hours of FM testing against RL data. Our team also created 100s of RL based airfields for our pacific terrain map.

I also did some time working with early Allied and Japanese FMs with the War Thunder team.

It has been a long, long time since a NEW Pacific War Theatre Sim was in the market place, something I and all my Aussie team have been keenly waiting for.

Happy to assist with FM data and general knowledge for Japanese and Allied (inc. Aussie) Aircraft of this theatre.

Drop me a line, my HD is still full of flight tested flight and engine performance data, as well as lots of 3D although it is old and simplistic compared to todays models.

Regards

Steve. (Peril)

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

• Entropy.Aero
On 5/20/2023 at 4:00 AM, Peril said:

Hi all, for those that don't know me I was involved with the Targetware simulator team, and developed the Pacific Theatre based 'Target Rabaul'.

My role was R & D, accruing creditable FM data for Japanese and Allied Aircraft, creating the flight models and hours of FM testing against RL data. Our team also created 100s of RL based airfields for our pacific terrain map.

I also did some time working with early Allied and Japanese FMs with the War Thunder team.

It has been a long, long time since a NEW Pacific War Theatre Sim was in the market place, something I and all my Aussie team have been keenly waiting for.

Happy to assist with FM data and general knowledge for Japanese and Allied (inc. Aussie) Aircraft of this theatre.

Drop me a line, my HD is still full of flight tested flight and engine performance data, as well as lots of 3D although it is old and simplistic compared to todays models.

Regards

Steve. (Peril)

Hey Steve.

Can you give me the following basic parameters for the Mitsubishi A6M2 Model 21 Type 0, from your own calculations:

- CL_alphaWing (wing only)

- CD0 in clean configuration without ordnance

- CY_BetaDot (lateral force coefficient with rate of change of sideslip)

- CM_deltaE (moment coefficient from elevator deflection)

We will compare them with our results and we can talk about collaboration for FM development! Yea there's a trick one in the lot.

• Like 2

Hi all. This looks interesting. I was co-developer of Target Rabaul with Peril and Yak. You may know the story. TR was built on the Targetware engine. Unfortunately when sick pulled the plug on coding Target ware (he was the sole coder), we had to abandon the project. Anyways, Peril and I have a wealth of data on flight models, primary aircraft data, airfield and squadron dispositions. We've been waiting a long time for a credible, high fidelity Pacific War air combat sim. Happy to help if we can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Entropy.Aero
14 hours ago, Baders said:

Hi all. This looks interesting. I was co-developer of Target Rabaul with Peril and Yak. You may know the story. TR was built on the Targetware engine. Unfortunately when sick pulled the plug on coding Target ware (he was the sole coder), we had to abandon the project. Anyways, Peril and I have a wealth of data on flight models, primary aircraft data, airfield and squadron dispositions. We've been waiting a long time for a credible, high fidelity Pacific War air combat sim. Happy to help if we can.

Welcome! Well, data on the subject being rare, maybe you could consider sharing part of it? We have a channel for that on our official Discord server. Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Check my other WW2 project HERE.

Not to harp on it too long, but TW was a very lost opportunity. We were well on the way to developing version 2, using LUA to hook into everything (FMs, DMs, terrain dev, even active weather modelling !) So many thousands of hours put in by all the Mod devs, for naught 😞

Anyways, onwards and upwards and really hoping Jason can pull this one off.

[quote]Welcome! Well, data on the subject being rare, maybe you could consider sharing part of it? We have a channel for that on our official Discord server. Thanks in advance![/quote]

Probably best to ask what we might be able to find. Years of trolling the National Australian Archives (quite often material that had not see the light of day since 1946) and we have gigs of data. I'll look into the Discord server when home from work next. Happy to discuss joining the team in whatever capacity as well.

Will keep a closer eye on the forum here too.

Edited by Baders
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 5:28 AM, FTC_Culeeeee said:

Hey Steve.

Can you give me the following basic parameters for the Mitsubishi A6M2 Model 21 Type 0, from your own calculations:

- CL_alphaWing (wing only)

- CD0 in clean configuration without ordnance

- CY_BetaDot (lateral force coefficient with rate of change of sideslip)

- CM_deltaE (moment coefficient from elevator deflection)

We will compare them with our results and we can talk about collaboration for FM development! Yea there's a trick one in the lot.

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for my delay.

We used Javafoil to calculate the performance of the wings mostly, my job was to find the data on the wing-shapes and run them through Javafoil. Enter the data into the engine and flight test the ass off the planes and compare this to the most reliable RL testing data we can locate. So, whilst I did build, and tweak, we didn't need to manually calculate the wing performance. This made it rather more user friendly in open source (targetware). WarThunder was a similar process and we found JavaFoil gave quite good results, at least it took the human component away from the process. (Some builders like to 'tweak' parameters to much IMHO).

What I offer is not to be in the 'team' so much (life is busy), as to more be a source for some data on WW2 aircraft and their engines. I have a fair amount of tested data on IJ and Allied, particularly the Pacific theatre aircraft. All the usual stuff from the NACA testing, some independent Aussie and Brits tests also from our AWM, purchased engine documents from P&W, and books like the the Alison v1710, but also some harder to get IJ stuff I picked up along the way.

Give me a PM and a list of your data gaps and I'll see what I can dig up.

Regards

Steve

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...