MSFS2020

1 hour ago, javelina said:

Not snake oil but while they were developing it frame generation arrived and made it pointless   

My potato computer with it's thirteen year old cpu:

You can use the ingame setting if you've got a 40xx series Nvidia card or - like me - you can use a mod that allows FG on a non-40 card or you can use this, from Steam: 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/993090/Lossless_Scaling/

Lossless scaling really does sound like snake oil but it really does work. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JFM said:

Have you guys seen this?

Yes, and I think it is a great way to recycle assets. MSFS is a vastly more known platform than anything combat sim (never mind WT) and making money by giving a teaser of what it could do with weapons to a much larger crowd and making money by doing so is great. In fact, I think even Jason might consider giving an Akagi and Zero bundle to MSFS (he could easily charge 50 bucks or so for both) and still not compete with his own sim. But sel a single item twice. There are DCS modules that have been recycled that way as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

In fact, I think even Jason might consider giving an Akagi and Zero bundle to MSFS (he could easily charge 50 bucks or so for both) and still not compete with his own sim. But sel a single item twice. There are DCS modules that have been recycled that way as well.

I don’t have MSFS, but I think that’s a great idea.  In DCS, my primary game, they always yearn for the PTO like everywhere else, and I thought well, here’s this startup making Zeros and Wildcats, so maybe there could be some crossover. However, considering the ongoing Razbam situation, and concerns over intellectual property, something like that might be more complicated than it first appears.  I guess Heatblur has their Tomcat in MSFS now, so they must have navigated that path succesfully.

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 3

IIRC, Neoqb released a Fokker Dr.I for FSX prior to Rise of Flight's release, although I believe it was free. But I'll grab this B-17 for sure, because I like flying and it'll be fun to fly it in more places than just Europe. But I'm *also* looking forward to the Bloody 100th, which I'll grab for the combat (hopefully they'll have the B-24 I saw screenies of, too). I'll buy both. Considering what I used to spend on booze and cigarettes in the 90s, a few flight sim costs pale in comparison! 😄

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JFM said:

although I believe it was free.

It was. Chris Hill tuned it even to match his own Dr.I and published the configuration file. It still is the benchmark for all Dr.I ever put in a sim.

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, JFM said:

IRC, Neoqb released a Fokker Dr.I for FSX prior to Rise of Flight's release, although I believe it was free.

A bit OT here, if there ever is a CFS4 or a relaunch of Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator series, I hope it's WW1 based to cover all the places that saw considerable aerial activity to say the least other than the Western Front and England such as the Italian Front, Eastern Front (many places there), the Balkans and Palestine. The future of FC after FC4 looks to be uncertain and at most will get some 1916 slower moving two seaters and a late war two seater -- we'll be lucky if we even get the Channel Map.

• Like 3

On 6/29/2024 at 8:41 AM, ZachariasX said:

In fact, I think even Jason might consider giving an Akagi and Zero bundle to MSFS (he could easily charge 50 bucks or so for both) and still not compete with his own sim. But sel a single item twice. There are DCS modules that have been recycled that way as well.

It would still require doing a lot of work with the MSFS tools, which is going to be a lot different from Unreal Engine. The best idea is probably to work with one of several MSFS studios that are already releasing WW2 planes.

It could both be done to generate some income and as advertising for CP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aapje said:

It would still require doing a lot of work with the MSFS tools

Assets are usually done with tools like 3DStudioMax etc. anyway. You just import them to your game dev kit. All they had to do is come up with the parameters for the FM. Given all the documentation for the aircraft exists, this is not that hard. It was a straight forward thing to do in FSX for neoqb and it can‘t be that difficult in MSFS given the sheer amount of existing modules.

• Like 2

PNG is such a great place to go flying.

1.jpg.6ef8c5814c2dcfd369bba33a44d25869.jpg

Keglsugl (AYLG), at 8'399 ft. Well a small part of it, given how sloped it is. It is so rewarding navigation around the clouds and then finally seeing your destination below in fair enough weather.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...