MSFS 2020 amazing visuals but...

I wanted to check out various locations within MSFS, and found this video of Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany. Absolutely amazing scenery and visuals! However... the "landings" destroyed any sense of realism. Yeah, it's a flight sim, not a landing in weird places simulator, but this was just pitiful...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Not quite sure what point the op is trying to make here.

I don’t see any landing. The ‘pilot’ is making use of the pause button….

Yeah, that's not paused, the prop is turning and the gauges are moving, while the plane floats in the air. Maybe you didnt really watch the video. What's the point? I find this to be a just a tad bit goofy, given all the work that went into MSFS, and this guy finds the one place that he can land in the air over a tiny little courtyard. It's not a big deal, just one tiny little bug that went unsquashed. It's not a big deal. 

Screenshot_20240528_155055_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20240528_155042_Brave.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Major Lee said:

Yeah, that's not paused, the prop is turning and the gauges are moving, while the plane floats in the air.

By default, MSFS uses what it calls "active pause" Your plane hangs in the air, but the rest of the simulation keeps right on chugging along, you will still see your prop spinning and the gauges moving as well as weather and time of day continuing to advance as well. The video looks exactly like what you would expect to see if you hit the pause key in MSFS, and appears to be working exactly as it was intended to.

To be fair this feature has caused a lot of confusion for many people. I cannot count how often I have seen it on the MSFS forums because it does not work how you would expect it to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got MSFS last year. I found bimbling about in GA, often just on AP watching the ground go by, a great distraction to some RL stuff going on at the time. Its strength, for me, was not in the close up detail but the overall effect at a little altitude and the weather. I many spent hours mesmerised by it all. Its not all great but the less good bits only serve to show off the huge areas that are. 

For bush trip type stuff, the XCubs, especially those fettled with by Got Friends/GotGravel are tremendous fun and there are plenty of challenging landings in well curated and rendered grass strips around the world where the immersion remains right down to the deck. I soon leaned to avoid looking too close at things like the above landmark as many start to look a little like cardboard cerial packet fold tab A into slot C too close up. Out Skerries in the Deluxe Edition is an incredible place as is the newly improved Nordic region. 

If you follow the convention of doing what you would go if it were RL, MSFS works really well. If you go a little too off piste, it can fall apart. 

• Like 4

On 5/29/2024 at 3:36 AM, Boo said:

I got MSFS last year. I found bimbling about in GA, often just on AP watching the ground go by, a great distraction to some RL stuff going on at the time. Its strength, for me, was not in the close up detail but the overall effect at a little altitude and the weather. I many spent hours mesmerised by it all. Its not all great but the less good bits only serve to show off the huge areas that are. 

For bush trip type stuff, the XCubs, especially those fettled with by Got Friends/GotGravel are tremendous fun and there are plenty of challenging landings in well curated and rendered grass strips around the world where the immersion remains right down to the deck. I soon leaned to avoid looking too close at things like the above landmark as many start to look a little like cardboard cerial packet fold tab A into slot C too close up. Out Skerries in the Deluxe Edition is an incredible place as is the newly improved Nordic region. 

If you follow the convention of doing what you would go if it were RL, MSFS works really well. If you go a little too off piste, it can fall apart. 

Couldn't have said it better myself. If these are the kind of things OP is gonna get all up in arms about, thats his problem. Everyone else will continue enjoying all the fantastic things MSFS has to offer 👍

• Like 3

image.png.950ab8e44f4b029d49e00675dee3245c.png

Working signatures? What a novel concept!

31 minutes ago, MustangMike said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. If these are the kind of things OP is gonna get all up in arms about, thats his problem. Everyone else will continue enjoying all the fantastic things MSFS has to offer 👍

Well its each to their own. I wouldnt want to force anyone to like anything (except Dogs - eveyone should like Dogs)  I said today on another forum that having a little variety serves us well dependent on what we want to do on a particular day.There isnt a sim that does everything and I dont think that there ever will be. I think its sometimes quite easy to become too partisan about flight sims (guilty your honour) especially when one is not scratching the itch that another is. MSFS, DCS, IL2GB  and Cliffs (never tried Falcon 4) all have their place, as will CB one day hopefully.

Sometimes it just nice to have the sims in order  to have something and someone to spout off to in forums!.   

• Like 2