Actual Tracer Effects: MG42

Short video of an MG42 firing tracer ammo for visual effect, from different points of view. Tracers are really helpful; aim with the sights first, then just walk it in, easy deal. Worked every time at Fort Benning. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I confiscated several WWII MG-42's when I was in Bosnia... tried to get them taken back to the UK for our regimental museum, along with a few Thompson's as well, but was denied... still, before they were all destroyed I took them to the Manjaca ranges and fired off a ton of ammo with a couple of my team.

• Like 3

While serving with the 3rd AD in Germany as a combat engineer back in the mid '80's, I had the opportunity to go spend a Staurday "fun" day with our German Pioneer cousin outfit. While there we got to spend time at the range firing, and also a friendly competition, their organic weapons: H&K G3s (which I really liked- I took second place!-), Walther P-38 P1 in 9mm (I again took 2nd place, nice piece, oldy but goody), and their current version of the MG42 at that time which was still in heavy use then. I didn't do as well with the MG42 as it rattled my glasses and I found it hard to hold my sight picture, but it sure was fun with that high cyclic rate!  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

During the 80's the MG42 was designated as the MG3, by that time it had been changed to use the NATO 7.62mm  ammunition not the original 7.92 during WWII.

It had also had a slower rate of fire than the original if I remember correctly.

Me, back in the day firing an MG3 at some oil drums... some Austrian soldiers were firing our weapons and we were firing theirs.

image.jpeg.4eb458cd5c7d21e4436268ad7784e89c.jpeg

Edited by Trooper117
  • Like 7

Looks not too dissimilar to the US M60 machine gun. 7.62 is still a great round; I have an Aero Precision AR10 that's a nice shooter. Good all around cartridge, except when you have to carry the ammo. 🤔🤪

When/where, were you in, bro? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yeah I'm sure it was the same, a MG3 as you say in 7.62 NATO as I remember looking at the cartridges in the belt before firing. We were prone and I dutifully put my cheek to the stock while aiming as I was instructed and would 've much preferred to fire looking over the sights like I did the M60 or M2 .50 cal where I could adjust easier by walking rounds to target as needed. Owned a Berretta BM 59 Alpine in 7.62 NATO for a while and that was fine shooting piece too, being a licensed version of the Springfield M1A.

Major Lee- who you asking me or Trooper 117? I served from April '77 to '80 in the 307th ABN ENG BN, 82nd ABN DIV, then was reserve for a couple years, the went back active serving at FT Devens, MA before spending about 4 years in 3rd AD out of Hanau, Germany from late '84 to late '88. Then they cut me orders to go be a Drill Instructor voiding my already cut orders to go back to The Promised Land (FT Bragg and the 82nd) and I said FTS and went my merry civilian way. I think being a Drill Instructor would've been the end of me, just wasn't in my DNA and figured I would get busted for smacking a smartass recruit sooner or later. 

Edited by Props
  • Like 3

@Props You were in Hanau? That's cool, I was in Neu Ulm '84-85. 11B doing warhead security for Pershing II unit. HHB, "Ammo" Platoon 1/9FA BN (formerly 1/81FA BN.) Great little town and good duty. Lots of field time, but lots of 'freelance' kind of work doing aggressor work against the firing Batteries. Fun stuff. Went to Benning after that, 197th INF BDE, thru May'87. One and done, wanted to do my bit and get out.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2024 at 5:00 PM, Major Lee said:

@Props You were in Hanau? That's cool, I was in Neu Ulm '84-85. 11B doing warhead security for Pershing II unit. HHB, "Ammo" Platoon 1/9FA BN (formerly 1/81FA BN.) Great little town and good duty. Lots of field time, but lots of 'freelance' kind of work doing aggressor work against the firing Batteries. Fun stuff. Went to Benning after that, 197th INF BDE, thru May'87. One and done, wanted to do my bit and get out.

Yep, spent more than my fair share of time at Grafenwoer and Hohenfels training areas. Had fun trips up to the 1K zone looking at the bridge target folders, etc. I travelled a lot whenever I got the chance and did some big bicycle tours of England, Greece and the Operation Market Garden area as well. Germany in the mid '80s was a pretty good place to serve. Too bad the professional quality of my particular unit kind of turned crappy the last year I was there.

• Like 2

Never made it to Graf of Hohenels. We went to Wildflecken once, went to Camp Worden near Bad Tolz, that was Jan 85, super cold but good training. I packed my ruck with civvies one time, and hit the Banhof. Ended up in Innsbruck. 80s Germany was great!

• Like 1