Intel i9 13/14 gen cpu instability in UnReal games

• Executive Producer Skystreak Productions
On 4/11/2024 at 7:36 AM, Major Lee said:

There seems to be a stability issue regarding Intel 13/14 gen CPUs running UnReal engined games, leading to CTD or error messages. Undervolting seems to help. Lots of info regarding this issue is out there. Only seems to be affecting the very top tier Intel CPUs... 🤔

The Verge Intel Game Crash.

I'm sure this will get fixed if it's really an issue for some. Unreal simply has to work with the latest processors. Won't affect us long-term I am sure. We haven't had any issues so far.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

I'm sure this will get fixed if it's really an issue for some. Unreal simply has to work with the latest processors. Won't affect us long-term I am sure. We haven't had any issues so far.

Jason

Sounds like this is more of a hardware/bios settings issue than an UnReal Engine issue. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/there-are-increased-reports-of-crashing-in-unreal-engine-games-etc-and-epic-is-blaming-intel-chips/#:~:text=Because this isn't a software issue%2C your only,for the P-cores down a notch or two.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2024 at 8:39 PM, Jason_Williams said:

By the gold release of the first campaign the latest intel CPU will be two generations ahead anyway, and the Unreal Engine will also go through some revisions/updates, so I do not see this as an issue as long as like Jason mentions, it does not affect the dev team in the development phase and I would add the early access phase players, which by definition is not gold but say maybe wood at this point 😄

• Thanks 1

It's not a software issue. This happens when you put a big load on the CPU and happens in Cinebench as well.

Basically, many motherboards are running out of spec, sending more watts to the CPU that they should. And Intel may also be partly to blame, as they try to keep up with AMD, despite being behind in their manufacturing process, by pushing their CPUs to or even beyond the limit.

• Thanks 2