Reporting for duty!

Aruberikku

Hey everyone,

Wouldn't except anyone to know/remember me, but I used to go by the callsign "BAF Ace ...". (The ... gap was were I wrote my real name, but I don't usually post personal info on the internet anymore these days ๐Ÿ˜….)

That was during the old IL-2 Sturmovik days. Maybe if some of you were on the IL2skins forums (or others) back then, you might remember the name. I mostly played single player, so wouldn't really expect anyone to remember me as I said before.

First flight experience was CFS, which I played at a friend's house. CFS2 was actually the first flight "sim" that I owned myself as a kid, so the pacific theatre holds a special place in my heart. Don't remember what I flew back then, but in IL-2's Pacific Fighters I almost exclusively flew the A6M or Ki-84.

After the old IL-2 glory days, I mostly stopped playing flight sims due to my PC getting outdated. Had some fun with Birds of Prey and Birds of Steel on Playstation (although it doesn't compare to PC for that genre). Humble brag: I actually became the first person in the world to get the platinum on BoP and the first person outside of Japan for BoS. (It was released one week earlier in Japan.)

Recently got a new PC. Planned to play a lot of Starfield on it, but that was a disappointment. Unfortunately for my wallet, I then rediscovered my love for flight sims. Got IL-2's Battle of Stalingrad on sale a while back, which led me to buy a VKB Gladiator + STECS.ย ๐Ÿคญ Put in about 300 hours just on the Bf 109 F-4/G-2 so far. Definitely feels great to be flying again, although I've read some questionable comments surrounding IL-2, so not sure I want to invest more for now.

And that's what led me to discover Combat Pilot! ๐Ÿ˜ƒThe only bad thing about CP is that the wait is going to be excruciatingly painful. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I probably plan to exclusively fly for the IJN again, although that Wildcat model does look very tempting...

Not sure if I'll see you guys in the CP skies, since my experience with multiplayer gaming is that it's pretty toxic and I prefer to relax and have fun. (Not sure if the toxic things holds true for non-arcadey flight sims? Are we flight simmers a different/better breed? It's kinda hard to teabag in an aircraft after all.)

• Like 3

Hello and Welcome to the forums @Aruberikku. :wave:

aruberikku.thumb.png.ba282c6b7ab59e71b768908222608043.png

1 hour ago, Aruberikku said:

Maybe if some of you were on the IL2skins forums (or others) back then, you might remember the name

Even though it was just a bit before my time in the IL-2 universe I may have heard of it.ย ๐Ÿ˜

maintitle3.jpg.95b0d8e3a2e48cdb2c848e13d4c65ace.jpg

https://web.archive.org/web/20060111133719/http://www.il2skins.com/

ย 

Wheels

• Like 2

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

Curious what the "questionable comments surrounding IL-2" were?ย 

• Like 3

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS \ Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler \ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3192mhz \ SBlasterX G6 \ 2TB NvMe M.2 Boot Drive \ Zotac GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 556.12 drivers \ 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz Gsync \ Win11 Pro Ver. 23H2 - Build 22631.3810 \ TIR 5 \ Warthog HOTAS ย with VirPil stick base \ MFG V3 Pedals \ TM MFDs ย on 2 8" Lilliputs \ Simgears ICP \ Varjo Aero VR

6 hours ago, GPatricks said:

Curious what the "questionable comments surrounding IL-2" were?ย 

I've seen some anti-Ukranian comments by certain IL-2 team members. Also heard about a specific community manager who was banning people for criticism.
Reading some of the posts on here also suggests there is some 'beef' between CP's and IL-2's teams, but I have no details about that nor do I really care too much about potential personal feuds.

Probably best not to go into too much detail on a public forum. I'm just looking forward to Combat Pilot now! (And if I do purchase more of IL-2's products, I'll combine it with a larger donation to Ukranian forces.)