Monarch: Legacy of Monsters

DBFlyguy

I am soooooooooooo looking for this

I never really liked any of the sequels. For me it was nothing but the uncut 1954 version. As the Kaijū became that popular, it somehow had to become one of the good guys. Hard to stomach when it originally has been nothing but the mirror image of human failure.

Shin Godzilla was a nice try, maninly because it put human failings into a new perspectice. Making the movie somewhat comical was not unwelcome, as it was done with respect toward the main caracter, the Kaijū.

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Like 2

Yeah, Minus One looks good! I'll definitely be checking it out next month!

I like the recent movies, well except for Godzilla (2014) which always seemed to cut away just when it was about to get good... "Kong: Skull Island" is probably my favorite of the current series.

• Like 1

P51 resized.jpg

"Straighten up and fly right"

I guess I have seen about all of the Godzilla movies, even those at times weird Japanese movies. Especially the better crafted and newer movies are ok, but they are true popcorn movies, while the first one is not.

I find it impressive that Toho studios dared to make such a graphic movie just after what Japan had brought onto itself back then. Pointing the finger at themselves like that sure took balls of steel. Seeing the original movie as a kid, I never understood why the ending was on such a sad note. But even that version was slightly cut, but less so than the American version, devoid of much of the movies rationale.

It is something I really appreciate about good fantasy or sci-fi movies, when they can package mankinds existential problems in a different story, and elaborate on that free from conventions or (sometimes) censorship.

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from seeing Godzilla: Minus One. 

I really enjoyed it! Highly recommend! I really like the story angle they took with this one with the main and supporting characters and Godzilla is full villain.  I'd definitely watch it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

P51 resized.jpg

"Straighten up and fly right"

• 6 months later...