Pacific War Aviation Artwork- (not screenshots/game images or real life photos) - Share your favourites

Mysticpuma

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

"Holding the Tide" by Richard Taylor.

On 7 August 1942, just eight months after the dramatic events at Pearl Harbor, the United States First Marine Division stormed ashore on the island of Guadalcanal. It was the opening gambit of the land war in the Pacific.

Captain Joe Foss leads the F4F Wildcats of VMF-121 back to Henderson Field after a day of desperate fighting against the Japanese, in the skies over the steaming jungles of Guadalcanal - November 1942. It would be another three months before the island was finally secured, during which time Foss would achieve an astonishing 26 victories to become the first American pilot to equal WW1 Ace Eddie Rickenbacker’s score.

Screenshot_20240831_155901_Instagram.thumb.jpg.2071d52a907ce1f7a87dc86e699d259c.jpg

Edited by Mysticpuma
  • Like 6

On 7/28/2024 at 5:38 PM, Mysticpuma said:

"The Akagi" unknown artist.

wp4276938.thumb.jpg.b5c4955cf89884617e22fe1246f412d9.jpg

The internets seem to think it's by Takeshi Yuki but I can't find any of his prints with a signature for comparison.

Also, Richard Taylor's early works were not as good as his father's but his more recent prints are outstanding.

Fett

• Like 2

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

The hangar cat in the image reminds me of the hangar cat planes of Fame had for years @DD_Arthur. The markings are definitely quite similar. if the image was by Britt Dietz and not James Dietz I would swear that was where he got the inspiration.

Wheels

• Like 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

23 hours ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

The hangar cat in the image reminds me of the hangar cat planes of Fame had for years @DD_Arthur. The markings are definitely quite similar. if the image was by Britt Dietz and not James Dietz I would swear that was where he got the inspiration.

Wheels

Britt???

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Britt???

Yep, Britt Dietz.

Quite a few of the photos you see on the Planes of Fame official website and their online catalogue were taken by Britt. During Planes of Fame's monthly flying events the first Saturday every month he also does a live broadcast on the Planes of Fame Facebook page.

Planes of Fame:

Wheels

Edited by wheelsup_cavu
Added the YouTube link.
  • Like 2

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.