Happy Memorial Day!

Indeed, Happy Memorial Day!  Thank you to all who've served, and in remembrance to those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.   

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Gents,

No one is asking us to go around in sack cloth and ashes, but "happy" is a bit irreverent....................we are honoring the dead.

While I realize that "Happy Memorial Day" is almost always well-intentioned, I never use it. If I must use a greeting on this day, I will say, "remember Memorial Day", or simply, "It's memorial day." You never know when you could be addressing a survivor who lost a loved one defending our great nation. They would almost certainly describe this day as something other than "happy."

No matter what greeting you choose, may your day be filled with reverence and respect for those we honor-

Chris

Edited by Chris455
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chris455 said:

Gents,

No one is asking us to go around in sack cloth and ashes, but "happy" is a bit irreverent....................we are honoring the dead.

While I realize that "Happy Memorial Day" is almost always well-intentioned, I never use it. If I must use a greeting on this day, I will say, "remember Memorial Day", or simply, "It's memorial day." You never know when you could be addressing a survivor who lost a loved one defending our great nation. They would almost certainly describe this day as something other than "happy."

No matter what greeting you choose, may your day be filled with reverence and respect for those we honor-

Chris

Hi Chris,

No disrespect, ever. It's wonderful to see on this thread that folks recognize this day truly for what it's intended.  Each year, it seems to slip further away (from the true intent).  Those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

If you've served, I truly thank you for your service!  We only have our freedom because of the sacrifices of those who served.  My Father fought in 2 wars, (WWII in the German Army, and Korea in the US Army).  But he was most proud of becoming US citizen and serving in our Army.  I lost him 3 years ago, but I did say to him he was always my hero.  That I did, and he was my iron man!  🙂 

God bless to all,

-Jav

• Like 4

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

2 hours ago, javelina said:

My Father fought in 2 wars, (WWII in the German Army, and Korea in the US Army).

Reminds me of Harald Bauer. Harald flew He-162's during WW2 and ended up in the US Navy after the war.

Heinkel He 162 Jet Fighter Test Pilot

https://youtu.be/xmJqjx9VVKM

(Video embedding has been disabled. You must watch on YouTube)

More info about Harald in this post at M4T.

https://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&p=204307#204307

Wheels

• Like 2

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

Just wondering; it's clear to me from the posts above that this "memorial day" is a day on which the US honours its military dead. But why this date? It seems just so... arbitrary. It's not on the completion date of any of the US wars that sprang to my mind (although the US Civil War is close), and a quick scan of the Wikipedia page also didn't reveal any answers. The equivalent day in the Netherlands would be "dodenherdenking" (lit. "remembrance of the dead"), which is aptly placed on May 4 to pretty much coincide with the German capitulation in the Netherlands on May 5, 1945 while leaving May 5 itself for more festive celebrations ("dodenherdenking" is meant for a solemn remembrance). This doesn't seem to be the case for "memorial day"?

Oh, and of course I wish everyone a good memorial day 🙂 ("good" would be fine wouldn't it, since it doesn't imply any specific state of mind?)

In 1966, Congress and President Lyndon Johnson declared Waterloo, N.Y., the “birthplace” of Memorial Day. There, a ceremony on May 5, 1866, honored local Page 2 veterans who had fought in the Civil War. Businesses closed and residents flew flags at half-staff.

5 hours ago, dburne said:

In 1966, Congress and President Lyndon Johnson declared Waterloo, N.Y., the “birthplace” of Memorial Day. There, a ceremony on May 5, 1866, honored local Page 2 veterans who had fought in the Civil War. Businesses closed and residents flew flags at half-staff.

Not sure what a "Page 2 veteran" is? Google doesn't work here since you just get lots of second pages of whatever about veterans😄 Anyhow, May 29 is not even close to May 5. At least, three full weeks is not something I call close. Is there any further meaning to the date, or is it simply something like "what the heck, why not celebrate it right now"?

Also, just to be pro-active in case anyone thinks otherwise, I'm just curious and in no way want to detract from the importance of days like this to remember those who died for your country. I do think it's important to honour those dead. And as a Dutchman, I feel obliged to honour at least those of them who died during WW2 - lots of Americans died while driving the Germans from my country. If not for those brave soldiers, I'd be living in either Greater Germany or the Soviet Union. With world politics as they are, I think there's hardly been a time it was more relevant to stop for a moment and think about what exactly our freedom means, and how much was sacrificed for it. It's very little compared to what those who fell gave, but I do want to give my sincere and heartfelt gratitude to the Allied dead.:salute:

1 hour ago, ÆþelrædUnræd said:

Not sure what a "Page 2 veteran" is? Google doesn't work here since you just get lots of second pages of whatever about veterans😄 Anyhow, May 29 is not even close to May 5. At least, three full weeks is not something I call close. Is there any further meaning to the date, or is it simply something like "what the heck, why not celebrate it right now"?

Also, just to be pro-active in case anyone thinks otherwise, I'm just curious and in no way want to detract from the importance of days like this to remember those who died for your country. I do think it's important to honour those dead. And as a Dutchman, I feel obliged to honour at least those of them who died during WW2 - lots of Americans died while driving the Germans from my country. If not for those brave soldiers, I'd be living in either Greater Germany or the Soviet Union. With world politics as they are, I think there's hardly been a time it was more relevant to stop for a moment and think about what exactly our freedom means, and how much was sacrificed for it. It's very little compared to what those who fell gave, but I do want to give my sincere and heartfelt gratitude to the Allied dead.:salute:

The meaning is to honor the dead that have fallen. Originally created for those that perished in the Civil War and later expanded to all wars. That is the meaning of Memorial Day - a day of remembrance.