guess the bird...

javelina

8 hours ago, Boo said:

I think @ZachariasX has gone wandering off on one of his MSFS expeditions.....it could be a long wait. He rarely takes anything with more horse power than a lawnmower.. 🙂 

Nah, vacations in Italy. Too much wine to go flying…

But once the A2A Aerostar is out, I will go for another extended trip. Other than that, getting DCS running on a new rig and new controls (AVA Base… how nice that is!) is a hobby in itself atm. 

• Like 2

what's this?

hmmmm.thumb.jpg.537b6966de019e21e77bd094b4f1905b.jpg

• Like 4

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Posted (edited)

close...  🙂  (I know you meant xb-15)

Edited by javelina
comment update
  • Like 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

it's the XB-19, produced by Douglas.  It first flew in June of 1941.  (not sure as to when X and Y prefixes were used, will have to search a little)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

If it is too difficult, maybe try this:

image.png.2b3ded01f64844fa960ecb807def7cb5.png

That's another French abomination. I looked up the name on the cowling and the sheer enormity of it's awfulness prevents me from saying the make and model. Quelle horreur!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Bell Inn, Bath. Live music venue and real ale pub (thebellinnbath.co.uk)

I am in the homepage picture... or I would be if they hadn't cropped off the bottom part of it. 🍻

When I was on my AFV recognition instructors course many years ago now, I always remember the Chief Instructor saying it was always very easy to recognise French armoured vehicles... '' if it looks weird and sounds like shit, it's French!'' which at the time was pretty correct  🤣

It may not be that way now though, as I haven't taught that subject for 25 years or so!... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well, Papin and Rouilly’s Gyroptère Type „Chrysalide“ is truly something to behold. The Payen „Fléchair“ serves as another cultural misunderstanding of Alexander Lippischs  Ideas. It‘s kind of an illustration of how things work out when Germany and France try to come up with something together. I am sure all of it is again well intended.

Given the possible cultural discomfort of dwelling too much over these, you will find info on both (and further) abominations here, as the solution.

https://hushkit.net/2022/08/07/the-10-strangest-french-aircraft/

The Dune-copter is also featured. But I thought that one being too familiar to be put up as an example for folks already hardened emotionally by the familiarity with British interwar bomber designs.

• Thanks 1

Gyroptère. I like that the fact that it sank yet still they tried to persevere with it. Never, ever, seen that or anything like it before. Plus the other oddities featured in that link. The interwar years were a very strange time for aviation.

• Like 3

The Bell Inn, Bath. Live music venue and real ale pub (thebellinnbath.co.uk)

I am in the homepage picture... or I would be if they hadn't cropped off the bottom part of it. 🍻

Then something from the other side of the pond:

image.png.83d2b5b444e967ac6e2a1526de479172.png

(Edit: larger section)

It is sooo hightech, it has to be American, right? I mean, to this day, most (including some school books) don‘t know how lift works when using wings. Enter that contraption. If a couch can be sexy, then *that* is true gearp*rn. You can see, it is even from a time where they already had real engines.

My wife reads for our boys when she puts them to bed. As current read, I gave her one of my Jules Verne books (going to bed is by definition „after tea“!), it is „Journey to the Center of the Earth“. In principle, she very much enjoys the read herself, but Mrs PhD in biology is then prompted questions like „How long is a Klafter?“, „What is a Ruhmkorff lamp?“ It‘s not school that makes you a nerd.

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Confused 1