5 hours ago, Boba Fett said:

Eh, set brakes, turn on the battery, turn on fuel, set prop, set mixture, throttle to X percent, prime, prime, prime, start and cross your fingers it's a good one. Turn on the gun sight, two minutes of warm up, (check your control surfaces because you would IRL), adjust throttle and mixture, taxi. It's close enough to the real thing and fun for many/most. The random no-starts help keep it interesting. It should be a selectable option of course, especially on the server side. Should probably be required in career mode. Even if it's not strictly historical, it keeps you feeling a bit like a real pilot which is the goal of any flight sim. I'm sure most AC have similar enough starts. I don't need DCS levels of exactitude for this. Being relatable to my Cub/152/172 experience is fine.

And I want to experience Coffman percussive starts on the Wildcat et al. 🫡🛩️

What possible reason is there for the aircraft in a game to fail to start?  It doesn’t immerse me.  It makes me wonder why I just wasted the last 30 seconds of my life when I just want to taxi out to the runway and get started actually playing the game.

BTW, they had failed starts in GB in the beginning.  They got rid of it pretty fast.  Utterly pointless.  The same guy is making those decisions for this game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BraveSirRobin said:

What possible reason is there for the aircraft in a game to fail to start?  It doesn’t immerse me.  It makes me wonder why I just wasted the last 30 seconds of my life when I just want to taxi out to the runway and get started actually playing the game.

BTW, they had failed starts in GB in the beginning.  They got rid of it pretty fast.  Utterly pointless.  The same guy is making those decisions for this game.

It’s interesting because it happens in real life. I’d say it happens 15-20 percent of the time at warbird shows. I’m sure it’s not for everyone and that’s why it should be optional for users in most modes of play.

• Like 2

Fett

“I’d say we’re offering a fair deal under the circumstances.”

14 hours ago, Boba Fett said:

It’s interesting because it happens in real life. I’d say it happens 15-20 percent of the time at warbird shows. I’m sure it’s not for everyone and that’s why it should be optional for users in most modes of play.

Oh, I know it happens a lot.  But I’m much more interested in the combat part of the simulation than the starting of the engine part.

• Thanks 1

Drove me up the wall when IL-2 1946 added the random engine failure difficulty option. I did not mind it affecting the Player so much but having it affect the AI aircraft too was definitely a pain in the rear. Especially after I had spent hours setting up a taxi to takeoff scenario just to have one plane block several other planes from taxiing since the aircraft in front would not move since an engine had failed. Finally just gave up having AI aircraft taxi and started creating missions with them already airborne since all their engines were running when they spawned.

Wheels

• Like 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.