Freedom to walk the lower decks

Ive been taking a look though the Dev Diaries and those carrier hangers are stunning.

I'd love to be able to wander through a busy hanger with stuff akin to the welder beavering away in a corner in the like hanger screen of GB. Of course thats a ton of work and adds nothing to gameplay but.........imagine walking though all that activity in VR before riding the elevator to the deck with your ride...again I klnow pilots didnt do this....but still....

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Boo said:

riding the elevator to the deck with your ride...again I klnow pilots didnt do this

It may not have been standard practice but it did happen, with the engine running no less.

https://youtu.be/6_5BngeZjQs&t=75

World War II Carrier Operations
https://youtu.be/6_5BngeZjQs&t=75

This is the same video. The relevant portion of the video is about 78 seconds into it.

Wheels

• Like 3

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

I took a dip into the noise that is Discord. OMG!

Anyhow - for the record and given the posts over the past couple of days, I just wanna stree that I only want to walk past a welder, I dont want the sim to model the ability to do the welding myself....

• Haha 4

You guys may have heard about "Deadstick: Bush Flight Simulator", an aborted project (unless it comes back...). It was planned this game allows the player's avatar, at first-person view, lands somewhere on a fictionnal land similar to Alaska... and walks around not only on forests and mountains but even in hangars, so that the player could load/unload his Piper Cub, fix her engine, etc. In this instance, in Combat Pilot, "walkability" might make abort the project, who knows. Just imagine the lesser amount of fps because of the huge quantities of 3D objects that the hangars should contain for a minimum of realism is reached in terms of gameplay experience.

But walkability in hangars, on flight decks... yes, that would awesome, sure it would be.

• Like 3

I don't want to walk around the hangars or the rest of the ship, but I really would like the option to be in the cockpit when my plane goes up and down the elevator. That would be great immersion for me 😁.

• Like 4

The Bell Inn, Bath. Live music venue and real ale pub (thebellinnbath.co.uk)

I am in the homepage picture... or I would be if they hadn't cropped off the bottom part of it. 🍻

I wouldn't go for a walk around the hanger before getting in the aircraft... once you have done it a few times it would just become 'Meh' for most I suspect, however, part of me if pushed, would be in the ready room, then race up to the deck and run to my aircraft after hearing the order to get up there... but I reckon most would eventually 'skip' stuff like that and just load straight into the aircraft.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Chief_Mouser said:

I don't want to walk around the hangars or the rest of the ship, but I really would like the option to be in the cockpit when my plane goes up and down the elevator. That would be great immersion for me 😁.

10 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I wouldn't go for a walk around the hanger before getting in the aircraft... once you have done it a few times it would just become 'Meh' for most I suspect, however, part of me if pushed, would be in the ready room, then race up to the deck and run to my aircraft after hearing the order to get up there... but I reckon most would eventually 'skip' stuff like that and just load straight into the aircraft.

I guess it would be something of quickly dying novelty. I just like that Battlefield moment when your walking onto the deck from the ready room and spinning your bone dome in your hands.....

Anyhow, I hope theres room for something other than spawning onto a flightdeck devoid of life a la Pacific Fighters. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

would the crew chief already have the engine running?

I am of two minds regarding this question. It might depend on where the plane was staged in the takeoff order or they might want all the aircraft running so any aircraft that failed to start could be moved out of the way making it so any of the planes that were running could take off without interference. Just guesses on my part though. 102.gif.da3279a64d7beb8da7b4d01a3972084a.gif

Wheels

• Like 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

On 6/21/2024 at 10:35 AM, Mysticpuma said:

All you need is a free camera like IL2:BoX has (I think it was Ctrl+F2), pause the game, world's your oyster, go anywhere including below decks. 

A free camera wouldnt cut it.  My intial post wasnt really all that clear. Im not wishing to wander into every engineering room or anything like that. What I was more imagining is having a little life about me wherever I do spawn or trundle be it on a carrier or an airfield.  I got carried away with the "wandering" bit.   

UE5 is a world creator not a scratch built custom sim engine. Its designed to build immersive environments to seat a game in.  If I can wander into a medeval village teeming with life in Witcher 4 or a busy diner in GTA6, why not hope for more than an empty boat in the Pacific? 

The exciting thing about Combat Pilot is that its doing the reverse of what every full fat combat sim has done before. Its putting our little niche into something so much bigger. Something thats already more than capable of doing the "fluff" that custom sim engines would need to spend thousands of unavailable hours coding. 

• Like 2

In the present marketplace, I think DCS Supercarrier is doing a good job balancing between functional immersion vs graphical fluff, while retaining good performance.  By functional immersion, I mean, you have an interactive deck crew, and you can be the LSO, or the Air Boss, and there will be a ready room environment as well. 

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sea Serpent said:

In the present marketplace, I think DCS Supercarrier is doing a good job balancing between functional immersion vs graphical fluff, while retaining good performance.  By functional immersion, I mean, you have an interactive deck crew, and you can be the LSO, or the Air Boss, and there will be a ready room environment as well. 

I would say a reasonable job. Theres a lot of stuff still missing AI crew routine wise and very few assets in the core game to dress a deck. Its finally got a decent S3 but the SH60s are woeful with nothing in the pipeline to replace them.  Its a nice boat with a bit of bot crew action. 

Im a bit spikey about the Supercarrier as it seemed to kill of what HB were doing with their Forrestal deck crew and has since sat there with the minimum of attention paid in order to maintain its Early Access status. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Boo said:

A free camera wouldnt cut it.  My intial post wasnt really all that clear. Im not wishing to wander into every engineering room or anything like that. What I was more imagining is having a little life about me wherever I do spawn or trundle be it on a carrier or an airfield.  I got carried away with the "wandering" bit.   

UE5 is a world creator not a scratch built custom sim engine. Its designed to build immersive environments to seat a game in.  If I can wander into a medeval village teeming with life in Witcher 4 or a busy diner in GTA6, why not hope for more than an empty boat in the Pacific? 

The exciting thing about Combat Pilot is that its doing the reverse of what every full fat combat sim has done before. Its putting our little niche into something so much bigger. Something thats already more than capable of doing the "fluff" that custom sim engines would need to spend thousands of unavailable hours coding. 

So a bit like this (when he is under the decks)? 

I hope we can get something like this on the decks when the aircraft is getting readied, life on the deck will make a huge difference. 

I understand your free roam, maybe it could be a separate feature, a bit like a tech demo? 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

So a bit like this (when he is under the decks)? 

I hope we can get something like this on the decks when the aircraft is getting readied, life on the deck will make a huge difference. 

I understand your free roam, maybe it could be a separate feature, a bit like a tech demo? 

Under and over the decks exactly. Id be less bothered with a free roam (poor choice of title on my part) but life in the hangars and on deck with some interaction with crew (especially given the manual handing needed) would be great. 

• Like 2