Remembering the Battle of Midway (1942) and D-Day (1944)

• Entropy.Aero

Midway, 1942

82 years ago today, in the middle of the Pacific, a battle erupted that would change the course of the Pacific war. In the early morning, at 06:20, the two idyllic islands known as “Midway” were fiercely attacked by Japanese naval aircraft; they were met by 26 USMC Buffaloes and Wildcats from VMF-211. Avengers and B-26 bombers had already taken off to look for the Japanese carrier force that had been spotted by a PBY less than one hour prior.

The battle then shifted to the sea and evolved into a clash of unprecedented proportions, and is known to this day as the Battle of Midway.  

Collage_Battle_Midway.thumb.jpg.5c5e86a5c8f434b1cf21f0d294480c46.jpg

That first aerial engagement over the Midway islands was already a bloody encounter, and what followed at sea became known as the most important carrier battle ever. Many pilots lost their lives that day, and they never knew they had been part of a war- deciding struggle. 

Thanks to the sacrifice of the airmen and sailors of the US Navy and US Marine Corps we can still enjoy freedom today. That’s why, on this 82nd anniversary, the Combat Pilot Team salutes those that paid the ultimate price at Midway, and those that serve and protect our freedom to this day. 

D-Day, 1944

80 years ago on the 6th of June, the second world war produced one of its biggest and most important events. US rangers, among the first to go into action on D-Day, scaled the sheer cliff at Pointe du Hoc, destroyed the German battery there, while securing the area. The liberation of Europe had begun! Or had it? 

Well, one could argue that the liberation had already begun about a year prior. On July 12th, 1943, the red army launched “Operation Kutuzov”, which put an end to German offensive ambitions at Kursk. This battle saw the Soviets taking the initiative from the Germans on the eastern front, and it would remain this way until the very end. 

By the time D-Day started, the Soviets had already pushed hundreds of miles westward, liberating Smolensk, Odessa and Tarnopol. 

Dday01.thumb.jpg.2b14e3774495ba11ab9b7b9bee0f89fa.jpg

As the allied leaders had agreed during one of their conferences, the Soviets launched their next offensive, “Operation Bagration”, shortly after D-Day.  

However, the 6th of June 1944 marked the beginning of the end. The Normandy landings were successful, and the days of Nazi terror were numbered. 

We (Barbedwire studios) visited Pointe du Hoc last year on the 6th of June, and were left in awe. Standing at the top of that sheer cliff, looking down, you can imagine how hard it was to get up there while fighting off the defenders. 

Preinvasion_bombing_of_Pointe_du_Hoc.thumb.jpg.e7e17d8280e01bef3ea12a24e0573b52.jpg

In fact, it doesn’t matter on which date the liberation of Europe started; what matters is that the allies worked closely together - successfully - to end an era of terror and fascism, and D-Day was one of those days that were instrumental and significant to the defeat of the axis powers.

Above all, let’s remember and honor those that risked or lost their lives for our freedom.

Lest we forget.

The Combat Pilot Team

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Check my other WW2 project HERE.

• Jason_Williams changed the title to Remembering the Battle of Midway (1942) and D-Day (1944)
  • Snafu featured this topic
  • Jason_Williams pinned this topic

May the heroism and sacrifice of these men, many of whom fresh out of high school or under 18 never be forgotten. My great-grandfather was part of the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals (RCCS) and landed in Normandy in the days following D-Day and continued to serve in the RCCS on the Western Front where he was mistakenly reported KIA.

Since you also mentioned Operation Kutuzov and Bagaration, I might as well acknowledge the Italian Campaign/March up Italy and on June 4th 1944, General Clark’s forces had Liberated Rome. While the Italian Campaign is much lesser known and Germany surrendered before the Allied goal of invading Germany from the south could be achieved, their sacrifice was not in vain because it kept considerable German resources from fighting on the Western or Eastern Fronts. With D-Day the Germans were now fighting a three-front war with each front line rapidly approaching Germany’s doorstep.

• Like 7

I am very ashamed to say it, but for all of my adult life I have paused and remembered the sacrifice of the combatants without  much thought for the civilians caught up in the war.

This year, the 20,000 French killed in the invasion and subsequent push inland will also be at the forefront of my mind as will the 55 plus milion civilians of all nations who died in total.

Im not an apologist for war by any means but, at the same time, I think its right to reflect on the full tragedy that such endeavours inveitably bring whether justified or not. 

We will remember them. 

• Like 11

My Father in Law was with the Pioneer Corps and landed on the beaches before the main assault in an attempt to clear a route for the main landing forces. 

He never talked about the war and I only discovered this when I applied to obtain his records, so I could find out what medals he was entitled to, as they were stolen in the 1970's. They sent his war records including where he served. 

Christmas that year we presented him with his medals. He burst into tears and said "I never thought I'd see them again". 

He was repatriated in 1945 after being wounded by a mine, which affected him for the rest of his life. 

He passed 10 years ago but I always told him how proud I was of what he did and how he preserved our freedom. 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

He never talked about the war

My grandfather was the same, he never talked about the war,  U.S. Army lost a leg in New Guinea to a Japanese mortar. I would have never known if not for the old ammo box full of medals in his basement.

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

My grandfathers were never posted outside of Australia, but my Great Uncles (mothers side) fought on the Kokoda Trail in New Guinea. They died when I was young but I did ask them as a little boy about their being in a war and I recall them looking at each other, rolling their eyes and saying it was 'bad', then chuckling and opening another beer. Shame I never got to speak with them as an adult.

My great-great Uncle fought on the Somme with the Australian artillery and survived all the way to the winter 1916-17 then lost his temper one day and slapped a draft mule, that then kicked him so hard that it wrecked his spine. He was invalided home (recovered, but always had issues). He was, in retrospect, grateful to the mule.

• Like 3