Weather modeling and dramatic skies

After seeing the dynamic weather that is available inSFS2020, I trust that CP will be able to convincingly model big weather. Something like the pics below would be fantastic to see on occasion in the sim. These pics are from the Mackinac Straits  July 2023. The Mackinaw Bridge is about five miles long, shore to shore, and the road deck is about 199' above the water and the two white towers are about 550' tall above the water. It was some serious "action weather" that week! Who knows, maybe they'll be able model an occasional waterspout or rainbow... 🤔🫡

20230717_160909.jpg

20230717_161443.jpg

20230717_161552.jpg

20230717_161827.jpg

20230718_110514.jpg

20230718_191857.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Lol, this thread reminds me about asking Oleg about waterfalls being doable in CLoD almost 14 years ago.

Q. Will the water height be able to be set at a height other than zero to make a realistic waterfall effect?

A. Water height can be anywhere now, not just at sea level. Waterfalls though? That’s a whole different object with a set of special visual and sound effects, and we don’t have that at the moment. Water just flows smoothly regardless of landscape underneath. Of course, waterfalls can be added to the game rather easily. We just haven’t thought we needed them, until just now!

IL-2: Cliffs of Dover: An Interview with Oleg and Ilya: https://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_475a.html

Wheels

Edited by wheelsup_cavu
  • Thanks 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

? What's your point? Waterfalls don't affect flying aircraft. However, actual dynamic weather, does. I recall when TK from Thirdwire worked with Birhle Engineering and made dynamic wind for Birhle's Wright Flyer simulator, so that the Wright Glider model could actually fly, as it had no means of propulsion, other than wind. This means WIND that actually affects the way the aircraft flies, as opposed to a static standard atmosphere.

There is some pretty big weather on open water; it would be great if weather actually affected the aircraft in flight, rather than just obscure visibility because it's cloudy. Imagine a carrier landing with a microburst firing nearby. We got caught in a microburst in Travese City last summer after a boat ride in the bay. 60+mph winds, driving rain and being sand blasted trying to make it back to my truck. After it stopped, there were multiple power lines down, along with trees in the road. Weather is no joke, just hoping it becomes part of the sim, not just mere visual candy, but great visuals do add to the immersive effect. 

• Like 1

There certainly is a lot of potential for the future of flight sims with new and emerging technologies.

That said I would not expect CP or any other combat sim to come even close to what MS has achieved with Dynamic weather. It is purely a function of money. The MSFS and Asobo teams have huge budgets, to throw at getting the best devs, licensing the best technologies, hosting space to process and stream the data, etc. I would not be surprised if MS spent more on the weather system than Combat Pilot's entire budget. I will be happy if they get some weather, wind, wind gusts, etc even if it is not as dynamic as MSFS. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Major Lee said:

? What's your point?

As simmers no matter what we get there is ALWAYS something else we want the developers to add that would make the sim perfect in our eyes. Now that statement is not a slam on any individual over their wants it is just facts from watching new sim development over the past 35+ years. Plus the idea of a waterfall had little to do with pretty scenery it was about having water at different levels on the map other than sea level. As with your request it was all about limitations that exist because the programming can not address what we want from our simming experience.  😎

Now before I find I somehow made another faux-pas with this post I still have not said I was against the idea of Dynamic weather.

Wheels

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

9 minutes ago, Major Lee said:

I hope you enjoyed the pictures

I did, and the ONLY way I ever hope to run into some of those experiences shown in those images is via my simming hobby. 😱

Wheels

• Like 2