DCS and DCS WWII

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting little tid-nits from ED in their last newsletter surrounding embarking and disembarking personel and improvments therein - could we finally get solders boarding helos?  Like actually sitting there after you've picked em up?  

Fat Cow and Dynamic Farps look promising too for those of us who a more lovers than fighters.

Could the Chinook actually lead to more than just Naffghanistan?

Steady there - Its early days and So often these things just evaporate in time.  Im just hoping they stop running around as if they are on the surface of the moon but Im dreaming of a hip full of vomiting squaddies. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Boo said:

Some interesting little tid-nits from ED in their last newsletter surrounding embarking and disembarking personel and improvments therein - could we finally get solders boarding helos?  Like actually sitting there after you've picked em up?  

Fat Cow and Dynamic Farps look promising too for those of us who a more lovers than fighters.

Could the Chinook actually lead to more than just Naffghanistan?

Steady there - Its early days and So often these things just evaporate in time.  Im just hoping they stop running around as if they are on the surface of the moon but Im dreaming of a hip full of vomiting squaddies. 

One of the promotional screenshots shows the Chinook sling loading a howitzer.  I haven't followed the CH-47 threads closely, but at this stage of EA the "cargo" that you can carry, external or internal, is only visually depicted as boxes and pallets, correct?

It would be pretty cool if we could eventually do something like this:

218591d9a1bf6701373d23692b15a48e.jpg

Edited by Sea Serpent
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

One of the promotional screenshots shows the Chinook sling loading a howitzer.  I haven't followed the CH-47 threads closely, but at this stage of EA the "cargo" that you can carry, external or internal, is only visually depicted as boxes and pallets, correct?

It would be pretty cool if we could eventually do something like this:

218591d9a1bf6701373d23692b15a48e.jpg

The newsletter also mentioned expanding the range of cargo and asked for suggestions. The DCS commuity isnt slow at coming forward with suggestions so there is perhaps hope......one day. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

"The DCS: CH-47F module will soon be receiving first person view pilot models. These models are being crafted to ensure every aspect of the pilot's appearance reflects real-world standards. The flight suits, helmets, and accessories such as body armour and communication gear have all been modelled. This will be a particularly important improvement for those of you flying in virtual reality.

These new models will be fully integrated into the cockpit and animated to correspond with crew actions, control operation, interaction with instruments and more!"

Ooooooooooooo! No more Johnny left seat clutching himself the whole flight.

• Haha 2

@BooDo you have the Chinook yet?  I just picked it up fairly recently, and am impressed.  It’s likely the most stable and easiest to fly yet in DCS, and it doesn’t seem as hard to learn as all those mfd buttons make it appear at first glance.  I decided on the Chinook instead of the Kiowa because there are just too many reports on the latter being sub-par in the aesthetics department.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

@BooDo you have the Chinook yet?  I just picked it up fairly recently, and am impressed.  It’s likely the most stable and easiest to fly yet in DCS, and it doesn’t seem as hard to learn as all those mfd buttons make it appear at first glance.  I decided on the Chinook instead of the Kiowa because there are just too many reports on the latter being sub-par in the aesthetics department.  

Not yet. There no real incentive at the moment as I cant play until next year due to home circs. I also  prefer that my Helos try to kill me.  Had I not been stung by the utter guff that is Naffaghanistan and the Kola Penisula, the fact that one of my favorite jets is sitting on death row (Harrier) and the super carrier being more of an OK carrier despite its years of EA, I might have been keener. As it stands Im giving ED the strong, silent treatment as it seems to work for the wife when she does it to me. No doubt the hook will be a purchase once Im back flying at some point but it will likely be a sale item.

Nothing video wise Ive seen about the Kiowa leads me to think its as bad as some make out. That wont be a sale item. 

Edited by Boo
  • Like 3

has anyone else come accross or even used this?

Seems to be a patreon only thing at present with a £3.50 or £13 paywall dependent on whether or not you want Alpha or beta access. 

EDIT - well I paid my $18 subscription and found out for myself. Its basically what DCS should have had in its mission editor years ago. The ability to see, in the virtual world how things placed in the ME look. No more SA6s clinging to cliff faces in Syria. 

Downsides, not a biggy but I have to disable my exclusive ful screen hack as it needs the DCS mission running (wouldnt be an issue at all if ED hadnt needlessly removed the ALT-Enter flip) and it ideally needs a decent amounf of screen estate. Theres a learning curve also but, once done, I imagine itll be pretty second nature. 

EDIT EDIT - Its still very much a WiP. Some ME assets like helipads appear to be missing at this time and the "find" function appears a little buggy. I think, as it matures it'll be a great tool for mission and campign builders. Eventually the team state itll be free but Im not so sure it needs to be. 

Edited by Boo
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, Boo said:

has anyone else come accross or even used this?

Seems to be a patreon only thing at present with a £3.50 or £13 paywall dependent on whether or not you want Alpha or beta access. 

EDIT - well I paid my $18 subscription and found out for myself. Its basically what DCS should have had in its mission editor years ago. The ability to see, in the virtual world how things placed in the ME look. No more SA6s clinging to cliff faces in Syria. 

Downsides, not a biggy but I have to disable my exclusive ful screen hack as it needs the DCS mission running (wouldnt be an issue at all if ED hadnt needlessly removed the ALT-Enter flip) and it ideally needs a decent amounf of screen estate. Theres a learning curve also but, once done, I imagine itll be pretty second nature. 

EDIT EDIT - Its still very much a WiP. Some ME assets like helipads appear to be missing at this time and the "find" function appears a little buggy. I think, as it matures it'll be a great tool for mission and campign builders. Eventually the team state itll be free but Im not so sure it needs to be. 

Thank you for your feedback.

I though to subscribe too, but i'm going to wait.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sea Serpent said:

I’d not heard of this before, and I’m not a mission designer, but I might be if it can be that convenient. Maybe ED should buy out this effort and incorporate it directly into DCS.

So far, its all a bit "VR" in that some stuff works and other stuff just leaves you frustrated. Great potential though. The abilty to quickly form up and randomise armor is cool as it the abilty to template and paste FOBs etc wherever you want. There's a ton of deeper delve stuff I aint touched yet too.

However, at present, any mission created in the 3D editor is crashing DCS for me unless its renamed and stuff set in the DCS ME can get fouled up when the mission is edited in the 3D viewer. Other oddities include ground units created in the 3D Editor being identifed as other things in the DCS ME (even though they re showing on the2D Map as what was created). For instance my Geogian APC are currently "Fire Cans" and my Ural mounted ZU23s are 40mm Bofors. 

Im sure all this will get worked out as its still early days. The devs are very active and communicative. 

Ultimately I can see how a mix of using the DCS ME to "block out" units and the 3D ME to finesse stuff would likely be the way to go. But that really only touching the surface of what, ulimately the thing can do. 

EDIT - So the mysterious missing and wrongly ID'd units in the DCS mission editor are attributed to not correctly selecting the side/nation. Unfortunately, at present, some amount of prior knowledge is required since the 3D Web editor appears to give you everything whether its alligned to a nation or not. 

I would say this thing suits a 2 monitor set up best. 

Edited by Boo