Any Guitar Builders?

kissTheSky

Thanks, the motor city tele is fantastic, a real work of art, very talented and thank you for the info.

Images, sure, need to excuse all the finger prints, dark colours and all. Left to do now is install the strap buttons and make a cavity cover, (It's been playing allot to continue the finishing touches atm) :classic_smile:.

IMG_1093.thumb.jpg.1d5a85cf7b3f3437ecc0c476a3b2005d.jpg

IMG_1100.thumb.jpg.62b1640c360f8f7952b8853055a95ec7.jpg

IMG_1097.thumb.jpg.7f943f1bbc1b0a604c469cd849f1095c.jpg

S!

Edited by Boomerang
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Still working through the bucket list. The weather has been quite hot, so hot the paint was flashing really fast on the surface where in one area the solvents evaporating formed a paint bubble on a black striped edge. Never experienced that before. I really put the the paint on as wet as it gets, (Montana spray can of matt clear acrylic lacquer).

Anyhow, that was fixed real quick the next day. Only other set back was the tape purchased from amazon. The tape was the cheaper yellow pin stripe varied sizes deal. Lol, man, that tape was rubbish, it left sticky junk behind once removed. Was tricky cleaning the tape residue off with prepsol/wax & grease remover on fresh day old paint. The red paint was coming off as well. It would have been better leaving the paint to completely dry for a good week or more as this would have been less troublesome. Nether the less, the sticky tape residue was completely removed.

There are templates for the stripes online, (with sizes), so that's what was used prior. The orange/red colour is Montana's "Blood Orange", which is pretty close to Chevy Red Orange engine enamel, but I wasn't going to use any enamel what so ever on this, (that's just looking for trouble).

I may dry sand in a couple of weeks, and apply matt 2k poly, but rather like the texture as it is.

Iv'e scrubbed the idea of doing a "Donnie" tribute on the other JS style. Did start on the head stock, but the water based paint I had to use was just not happening, appeared too washed out/thin. 

IMG_1123.thumb.jpg.9befa68dac0b493c6a839413711079e9.jpg

IMG_1122.thumb.jpg.0f6ed46280b0acc94d87ba8a820c5bb1.jpg

• Like 4

Finished my twin to the faded Sonic Blue I made last Oct.
Same guitar kit, but this is painted Sherwood Green.  Plays and sounds great.
Really fun project.
I also modded out the pickups for some zebra Probuckers on last years LP kit, looks very cool now 🙂

IMG_20240119_113131788.jpg

BB001.jpg

• Like 6

beautiful man!  very nice!

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Great job Bobo, I was wondering how you were progressing with your Sherwood Green, (twin), they all look fantastic. 

I painted/sealed my twin guitar to the blue pearl one today in 2k, decided on pearl white. 

IMG_1132.thumb.jpg.93e060af0b4cf2f7d9a25ea43bb44a2c.jpg

IMG_1138.thumb.jpg.868f6c9eb8bf70bda3ff064867ee2ac7.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bobo said:

Duesenberg Trem II tremolo

Hi Bobo, 

I haven't had any experience with the The Duesenberg LesTrem II's at all. They look nice, I didn't even know they existed to be honest. I hunted for some information that may be helpful to you. They appear to look as though they would just mount on without any modification, providing the mount centres of the tail piece are 81.5 mm, (3.2'') apart. Apparently there are different tail piece mount spacing's, so this is something to be mindful of.

There are two links for you to look at, one of which is a LesTrem2 Manual. (it's in German and English). The second link is a video regarding installation and info.

PDF installation Link: https://store.duesenberg.de/media/pdf/db/9d/c0/LesTrem2-Manual.pdf

• Like 3

On 3/1/2024 at 10:14 PM, Boomerang said:

The orange/red colour is Montana's "Blood Orange", which is pretty close to Chevy Red Orange engine enamel, but I wasn't going to use any enamel what so ever on this, (that's just looking for trouble).Iv'e scrubbed the idea of doing a "Donnie" tribute on the other JS style. Did start on the head stock, but the water based paint I had to use was just not happening, appeared too washed out/thin. 

IMG_1123.thumb.jpg.9befa68dac0b493c6a839413711079e9.jpg

This headstock design paint looks really kool!  And I love using old auto paint colors for my guitars.  The red/orange engine enamel is a great color.

• Like 3

Old style muscle car colours do look great, I like them too. To Experiment: Purchased some really cheap Alnico 2 and Alnico 5 humbuckers (Fleor brand). They are split-able, hopefully when wired the sound/tone is something like vintage style PAF's..  Fingers crossed they come kind of close, if not, I'll just keep experimenting.

For the 5150, I already had a Dimarzio F Spaced Tone Zone, which I like. (tested before the guitar was pulled apart for paint, so that will be reinstalled). 

• Like 3