Intel CPU Prices...

Major Lee

Looks like Intel CPU prices have crashed significantly at Amazon. 😳 As of this moment, the 14700K is $299 and the 13700K is $239. The 13600K is down to $215.61. 

Regarding Intel warranty and stability issues, PugetBench reports fewer warranty issues with their Intel systems compared to AMD. Looks like most of the Intel issues can be handled via BIOS settings that aren't set to stupid. Intel has also extended their warranty to 5 years. Motherboard manufacturers have adjusted bios setting accordingly.

As for me, I'm not concerned about alleged "future proofing". I just need a system that runs current stuff well; by the time I get around to building another machine, we'll be looking DDR7 square in the face, along with nVidia 7 series video cards. 

Screenshot_20240911_141848_Brave.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll be facing the ole part picker conundrum on 2024. The Ryzen 5600X I currently have was my first AMD chip since 2003 and its been pretty solid. The Motherboard and bios for said motherboard(s) less so intially (MSI  failed twice, Current low end ASUS holding up ok but occasionally forgets a drive). 

Like you, I dont "futureproof" as a new chip usually means a new system at the rate I upgrade (every 4 years on average).

Amazon UK has the 14700K at £370 which is the match price wise of the 7800X3D. My PC is primarily used for gaming. My partners Mac does all the grown up stuff. From everything I've seen and read, the 7800X3D remains the chip to get for this purpose though this time I'll be likely spending much more on the MoBo than I may have using an Intel CPU. 

• Like 3

I'm going to do a build when the Nvidia 5090 comes out. Will be expensive but my last build was mid-range in 2016 and still plays 4K on all my games currently....but I need to build for VR and an ASUS 1070 Rog Strix GTX, ASUS Deluxe mobo, 32GB DDR4 Ram and an Intel 6700K CPU are looking a little dated now.

Edited by Mysticpuma
  • Like 3

Form what I read, the 5090 will go at around $2500 USD, even more than the 4090. That AMD will give up the high end segment doesn't help there. I just hope that next year, we will have some reasonably priced and performing mid-tier cards, as AMD will battle it out with Intel in that market segment...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Form what I read, the 5090 will go at around $2500 USD, even more than the 4090. That AMD will give up the high end segment doesn't help there. I just hope that next year, we will have some reasonably priced and performing mid-tier cards, as AMD will battle it out with Intel in that market segment...

I do get that, but I probably won't have another PC build after this. My current one has lasted me 8 years and when the next one retires, hopefully so will I be!

• Like 4

I think that the most GPU I'll go for is the RTX4070 TI Super. 4090s are off the chain. My old system is ancient by PC standards, but it soldiers along, I'm just wanting to be able to run newer video editing software (Da Vinci Resolve and Sony Vegas Pro 22). More horsepower is better for rendering video projects. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

I do get that, but I probably won't have another PC build after this.

If you do VR, it is probably a way to go to get good results without all that much tweaking. I had my LGA2066 for almost 7 years until I switched now to the 4090-7950X3D combo.

The 4090 is crazy efficient and as long as you use a monitor, it is still totally underused. It is crazy how exessive GPU power is already with the 4090, making the situation even more lopsided with the 5090. On MSFS with everything maxed out in the settings, in my case, it barely uses 50% GPU while maxing out the CPU at around 80+ FPS in dense areas. I wouldn’t lose much with a 4070 GPU on 1440p. This will also be the case with the next iteration of Zen. When I play MSFS, it hardly turns on the fan and uses less power than my 1080. Only if you go high in resolution like 8k (or the corresponding setting in VR), then you get delivered what you dearly paid for.

In AI generation, the 4090 is phenomenal, turning hours into minutes compute time and I am extremely happy with it. The 5090 will be even considerably faster, so that is where those cards truly shine. Also the amount of GPU memory might future proof it somewhat regarding games you do play on the monitor, but that is an expensive gamble.

I’d say that any VR game that makes it in the market must be able to run on a 4070TIwhatever card, meaning it will run hassle free on a 4090. I can’t imagine a mass market hobby product with an entry fee of $6000+ (for a complete PC plus basic VR goggles) to succeed. Given you get a 4090 for about $1500, I think that card will remain popular.

Then again, if it‘s ones last build… true… why not go for a 5090? 😎

• Like 4

Like Puma I'm eying up a 5090 build though my initial enthusiasm has been tempered by reports of a 600W draw and diminishing performance increases. I dont like water in my PC cases so whatever I get will need a decent air solution adding 3rd party premiums onto it.  

VR is also a likely next step but I remain unconvinced. Primax QA is hit and miss, the Q3 requires strap and audio upgrades and has no eye tracking, the Somnium is organ donation expensive and requires lighthouses and there is no review of any I really trust.   I'm tempted to lower the bar to a 5080/ or well looked after S/H 4090 this time around and settle for a Quest 3 as Im guessing by the time the 6090 is here VR may have moved on again. 

I also have to consider the PC build against gettng a solution to fly. I have no spare room so packing and unpacking my gear is a PITA. The solution is a Monstertech chair one so that alone, (with the Rhino and stick) is a not insiginicant outlay. 

Edited by Boo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Boo said:

Like Puma I'm eying up a 5090 build though my initial enthusiasm has been tempered by reports of a 600W draw and diminishing performance increases.

I felt the same, but turns out that the 4090 for instance pulls that amout of power in the least of cases. As it turned out, I don't need that card for simming, but much so for productive tasks. Getting your Blu-ray on the iPad has never been easier. It is simply astonishing how much more powerful these cards are when software makes makes use of it, say video production or AI generation. It is only then, where the card really draws power as only then you can max it out. But if you give up a mere ~5% computing, power draw gets reduced drastically. My 4090 would pull some ~550 Watts if I really was to push her, but just some toning down in current drops power draw to about 300 Watts with no noticeable performance loss. It is almost silent at steady 100% GPU load then. So if you do VR and for sure will max out the card, it runs cool. But in terms of balance CPU, GPU, the 7950X3D is definitely not fast enough for the 4090 and will tend to hold her back. It requires you to balance CPU and GPU workload in the settings.

As said, the card is amazingly efficient and it is just insane that those 4090 are pushed to 500+ Watts just to earn very few more FPS when there's not really competition for the card anyway. The 5090 will be even significantly more efficient and definitely a monster for productivity. But unless you use (higher end) VR, I see really no point for that card other than productivity, as it also mandates the fastest of all CPUs, as that one will bottleneck the card by all means.

Originally, I was rather undecided about whether getting a 4090 or 4080 and now I am more than happy having gone the expensive way. It is just that I appreciate the card in a way that I didn't anticipate. If you get a 5090 and you find a program that actually makes use of it, then a new world opens up to you. It is that time in your life where you experience your computer being 10+ times as fast as the previous one. Having lived through a decade of lower single digit power gains over each CPU generation, this what we all were waiting for.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

But in terms of balance CPU, GPU, the 7950X3D is definitely not fast enough for the 4090 and will tend to hold her back. It requires you to balance CPU and GPU workload in the settings.

is there a CPU that is fast enough? I will admit that part speccing has gone from a sure fire joy 15 years ago to something of a biased  hit and miss affair today. Especially when you factor in the vast range of demands across the small genre of flight simming titles and the added complications of VR bring to each of those (and the less than helpful coyness about upcomming game engine features for furutre titles). 

Ive developed something of herd (of sheep) menality ie 3 sites say this is good - I will buy this.

The ONLY thing Im sure about is the Quest 3 becasue I stupidly promised the boy one (and a PC to run it) if he did well in his GCSEs. At least that gives me a VR "in" even if I'd be borrowing it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Major Lee said:

I think that the most GPU I'll go for is the RTX4070 TI Super. 4090s are off the chain. My old system is ancient by PC standards, but it soldiers along, 

I just thrown together the new system I’ve been meaning to build for the last two or three years.

It’s based around a 4070ti super and an i7 12700k with 32 gigs of DDR5.

To say I’m very pleased with the result would be a huge understatement. I’ve built it for MSFS 2024 primarily and it’s pushing along a large 1440p screen.

I didn’t go for the latest and greatest as I’m one of those preverts that enjoys spoiling a good walk by knocking a little ball around with a stick over eighteen holes and that ain’t cheap these days. 
Also, even though the kids are now men I’m very fond of ‘em so the bank of dad still gives very preferential terms.

This system is replacing ‘old faithful’ which is a thirteen year old i7 3930k - so let’s be honest, I’m easily impressed😀

I did think hard about holding out for 5000 series cards but they’re still away off and I simply can’t justify absurd amounts of money at the moment. The 4070ti worked out as easily the best bang for the buck as far as I’m concerned.

I’ll come back to VR when they’re akin to wearing specs rather than scuba gear so I suspect the next gpu I buy will be a 6070ti.

• Like 5