TBD

17 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Had a flight around Toledo in K Zoo's Tri Motor many years ago.

That's cool! I flew in it I would guess four or five times. (I used to volunteer at the Airzoo many years ago.) Saw the Navy "Leapfrogs" jump out of it at an airshow at Kazoo. They said it was the only plane they ever jumped out of and looked back and it was still there. Kind of a slow plane, but hey, every seat was both a window seat and an aisle seat! 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

one day lads, you'll get your chance....

TBD.jpg.cbde5809f6e80834deb109a14a1169f0.jpg

• Like 7

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

On 7/22/2024 at 4:12 AM, Chief_Mouser said:

Swordfish would have had just as hard a time at Midway. Only got to look at the Channel Dash to see what would have happened. The Devastators at Midway would have benefited from a properly co-ordinated attack and better fighter cover, but there would still have been the problems of the crap torpedoes.

The Swordfish gets praised because of the almost unexpected success it had, not for it's qualities. We British love the underdog that kicks the big guy. Bismarck and Taranto were pretty special for something that old and creaky, but nobody remembers the Vildebeests and Albacores attacking the Japanese landing force at Endau because they were an abject failure.

🍻

Ironically, it turns out the torpedo bombers, or at least some of them, did have fighter cover. Fighting Six got separated from Enterprise's bomber squadrons during the chaos of the launches, and accidentally linked up with Torpedo Eight, instead. However, because of how the radios were set up in the Wildcat the pilots only had a limited number of preset frequencies they could use. And none of the three carrier air groups shared any of those frequencies. So Fighting Six remained at altitude, never knowing Torpedo Eight was being cut to pieces and needed fighter support.

• Like 3

I have learned more history, obscure and not so obscure and even subjects I thought I knew have been better informed, reading these flight sim forums over the last 20 plus years than I ever did in school. Quite often one piece of information leads me down a rabbit hole researching the subject to learn more about that subject which branches off into another area and the next thing I know I have spent two. three, or more hours just fascinated with what I am reading.

Wheels

• Like 8

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.