guess the bird...

javelina

1 hour ago, Sea Serpent said:

Not sure if this one will be difficult or easy.

aircraft3.thumb.jpg.3dcb2cb8ed1f6e317e4bc67e4ed913e5.jpg

I almost fell asleep thinking about it. One of, if not the most boring military plane in the world. Less interesting than even the Saab Grippen. The avation equavalent of the Nissan Primera.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sea Serpent said:

That’s a bit harsh!

Perhaps but I cant get past that it looks exactly what the 7 year old me would have drawn as a homage to stuff like the F16 and Mirage.  That and well......its a bit crap. 

I think its the one DCS module I've never even been tempted to look at even in the sales (and I've even considered the Christensen Eagle!!). In fact, I think I'd buy the Kola map twice again before I bought this. 

Edited by Boo
  • Haha 3

Only ever saw one of these  flying once, summer of 1988 over Low Wray in the Lakes.  Though quite mudane in its role, its rarety stuck in my mind over the F-111s, Tornados, A10s, Lightings, Phantoms, Buccaneers and Jaguars I saw over the years. 

guess1.jpg.85ccdcf676067e9c682d3755b57b0d0c.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting aircraft. The name is familiar but I don't think I ever saw one fly. Certainly seen one in a museum. 

Someone else can have the guess - I scrolled around the web rather too much trying to find it. 😲

🍻

• Like 3

The Bell Inn, Bath. Live music venue and real ale pub (thebellinnbath.co.uk)

I am in the homepage picture... or I would be if they hadn't cropped off the bottom part of it. 🍻

3 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Had to look that up.  Ewww...  Looks like the love child of a Mirage and an F 18, with a tail from an F16 tacked on.

That what makes it so cool to fly in DCS.  It’s a pastiche.  Like Lady Gaga. I spent some time in this plane, and it’s pretty capable for a budget modern jet fighter.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

It it the one with the gun pointed downwards?

Yup - canted down. Some say precisely for GA but more likely just cos its belly mounted although it obvously benefits GA which does appear to be its primary purpose. 

I get the love for it in DCS but given I have the F16 and F18, I have both a better fighter and a better bomb truck. If I want a more pure and simple approach I have the Harrier, F4 and the 339. If I want crazy odd, I got the Viggen. 

Anyhow - OT. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Boo said:

it obvously benefits GA which does appear to be its primary purpose.

I am weary of folks who build supersonic jets that are designed to shoot peasants.

I prefer my twatwagen. It's not good at much, but that it does very well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Boo said:

Only ever saw one of these  flying once, summer of 1988 over Low Wray in the Lakes.  Though quite mudane in its role, its rarety stuck in my mind over the F-111s, Tornados, A10s, Lightings, Phantoms, Buccaneers and Jaguars I saw over the years. 

guess1.jpg.85ccdcf676067e9c682d3755b57b0d0c.jpg

Guessing….you saw one flying over the lakes 36 years ago and then mention other RAF stuff which implies it’s also ancient RAF……

Andover?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Guessing….you saw one flying over the lakes 36 years ago and then mention other RAF stuff which implies it’s also ancient RAF……

Andover?

Not the Andover.  Ill say that by 1988 its wasnt really RAF but rather RAE. Surviving examples are pretty much a staple of every uk air museum and I imagine are routinely rushed past by people looking for Spitfires...

Edited by Boo
  • Like 2