Engine?

CDRSEABEE

As he is building from "scratch" he will need to invest in the most recent and powerful tools (visual, physics etc.) if he wants to be able to produce the sim with a small team and in an acceptable time span. We can only remember the Maddox IL2 CLOD drama. Six years in development and finally a disaster at release.

Now seriously I asked GTP4 to design me a 3D model of a B17 Bomber, with articulated surfaces like aileron, and for propeller engine, and do this in Python.

He did it and I was astonished. Sure it was not ideal as he used a drawing library and then listed all the polygon vertice coordinates (pages and pages) tp finally have a 3D model. But hey it is just incredible. But I simply stated what I wanted in one simple phrase. I could have said in a more detailed way and do it but using this library and so and so forth. You can guide the AI system to generate the code you want. 

I mean by that that today code generation is something that OpenAI will continue perfecting in GPT4 and GPT5 and later. Code generation has come up as one of the very important contribution of these AI tools.

Maybe here Jason can use AI to leapfrog code production and do with a small team what others did in many years with very large teams.

An intelligent combination of latest sim technology platform and AI may do miracles. And we need miracles here 👍

• Like 2

On 5/22/2023 at 3:55 PM, IckyAtlas said:

As he is building from "scratch" he will need to invest in the most recent and powerful tools (visual, physics etc.) if he wants to be able to produce the sim with a small team and in an acceptable time span. We can only remember the Maddox IL2 CLOD drama. Six years in development and finally a disaster at release.

Now seriously I asked GTP4 to design me a 3D model of a B17 Bomber, with articulated surfaces like aileron, and for propeller engine, and do this in Python.

He did it and I was astonished. Sure it was not ideal as he used a drawing library and then listed all the polygon vertice coordinates (pages and pages) tp finally have a 3D model. But hey it is just incredible. But I simply stated what I wanted in one simple phrase. I could have said in a more detailed way and do it but using this library and so and so forth. You can guide the AI system to generate the code you want. 

I mean by that that today code generation is something that OpenAI will continue perfecting in GPT4 and GPT5 and later. Code generation has come up as one of the very important contribution of these AI tools.

Maybe here Jason can use AI to leapfrog code production and do with a small team what others did in many years with very large teams.

An intelligent combination of latest sim technology platform and AI may do miracles. And we need miracles here 👍

I'm uncultured at 100% in this discipline, but leapfrogging... may introduce bugs... or not? is it a secure method? (again, I know nothing about coding, so this is a real question).

By the way, Icky Atlas, IL2CloD took eight years to develop, not six. The development took three years for the main part of the code (2003-2006) but "for obscure reasons" there was a 5-year additional delay until the game was released (thus... 2003-2011, eight years).

2 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

By the way, Icky Atlas, IL2CloD took eight years to develop, not six

Gee eight years. Now I understand why I am 63 and did not see the time passing. Just woke up and bingo fuel 63!

After five years of waiting for CLOD I was exhausted and lost the count of time 🙂.

3 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

I'm uncultured at 100% in this discipline, but leapfrogging... may introduce bugs... or not? is it a secure method? (again, I know nothing about coding, so this is a real question).

Yes, it may. Or the AI might not comprehend just exactly what you're trying to accomplish, and come up with a valid solution to the wrong problem. Or the result may be severely unoptimised.

However, if you only ask it to generate relatively common functions, there's a pretty high chance it'll do a good job, and this will still tremendously speed up coding.

2 minutes ago, ÆþelrædUnræd said:

Yes, it may. Or the AI might not comprehend just exactly what you're trying to accomplish, and come up with a valid solution to the wrong problem. Or the result may be severely unoptimised.

However, if you only ask it to generate relatively common functions, there's a pretty high chance it'll do a good job, and this will still tremendously speed up coding.

Thanks! That clarifies a lot to me.

Current AI like ChatGPT  is decent at generating basic code, however it is not code you can just plop in. It is generic, you will need to modify it to fit your purpose. It is also often wrong or highly unoptimized. It can be used to assist, but still needs someone who knows what they are doing micro managing it.  It will get there someday I am sure but not there yet.

• Like 1