Pearl Harbor Scenario

Docjonel

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

I have a feeling that if they go ahead with Guadalcanal after Midway, Coral sea etc, it will be the initial landings and plane setup after Henderson became operational...

SBD's, F4F's, P-400's and TBF's... with the Japanese using A6M2 and A6M3 Zeroes, D3A1 Val's and G4M Betty bombers... 

As for GB model planeset size, we have no idea what Jason plans how many planes he will include in each module... it might be only 4 or 5 flyable's  with a couple of NPC's.

Echo in here?

3 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I have a feeling that if they go ahead with Guadalcanal after Midway, Coral sea etc, it will be the initial landings and plane setup after Henderson became operational...

SBD's, F4F's, P-400's and TBF's... with the Japanese using A6M2 and A6M3 Zeroes, D3A1 Val's and G4M Betty bombers... 

As for GB model planeset size, we have no idea what Jason plans how many planes he will include in each module... it might be only 4 or 5 flyable's  with a couple of NPC's.

And the A6m2-N.

I will probably type "R Area Air Force" a lot here over the coming years.

See once you model an A6m-21, you basically get the float version for the price of adding pontoons. 🙂

• Like 3

On 5/21/2023 at 7:49 PM, Gambit21 said:

And the A6m2-N.

I will probably type "R Area Air Force" a lot here over the coming years.

See once you model an A6m-21, you basically get the float version for the price of adding pontoons. 🙂

Dunno, the FM’s will have to be tweaked and the AC interacting with the water will be at least a small hurdle.

Personally I'd rate Pearl Harbor as a "round out the war" type of thing, like Doolittle's Raid. As the Japanese it's an unchallenging ground attack training sortie with live flak and as the USAAF it's suicide mission. 

When everything else has been handled, THEN doing it as a "and here's where it began" might be ok, but not to devote limited resources to in favor of things like Coral Sea or Iwo Jima or literally dozens of other spots

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JediMaster said:

Personally I'd rate Pearl Harbor as a "round out the war" type of thing, like Doolittle's Raid. As the Japanese it's an unchallenging ground attack training sortie with live flak and as the USAAF it's suicide mission. 

When everything else has been handled, THEN doing it as a "and here's where it began" might be ok, but not to devote limited resources to in favor of things like Coral Sea or Iwo Jima or literally dozens of other spots

All of the proposed locations in the announcement are battles measured in days. Pearl is no exception. Each, however, will gain significant life in “what if,” scenarios, set piece naval engagements, and furballs for the pants on fire crowd. I don’t see either the historical or fantastical scenarios being detrimental to the first installment. Of the three battles mentioned, a Hawaii map offers the best opportunity for a land based furball map in MP. I loved carrier ops in ‘46 but being strictly historical or hardcore here is exceedingly shortsighted. I know plenty of MP pilots in BoX who still struggle to takeoff or land cleanly. Landing on a CV will be exponentially more difficult and justifiably so. Consequently, some existing pilots might stay away and novice pilots or the uninitiated might get too frustrated to stick around for a second installment if forced into a strictly hardcore/historical box. I imagine the goal is to be more scalable in order to attract the largest audience possible. This (amazing) thing hasn’t gotten off the drawing board yet but I’d put a solid wager on the Solomon’s being the second, or even the second and third, installment. There is a lot to explore there. Midway, Pearl Harbor and even Coral Sea have way too much name recognition and a familiar planeset not to be the opening chapter.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JediMaster said:

You needn't be forced to takeoff and land if the server and/or game doesn't take away the option for air starts/exits.

Agreed, but that was the least of several point made.

edit:

rereading my referenced post, I can see why one would think that is my primary point. It took a bit of type to flesh out that thought.

Edited by HerrMurf

• Entropy.Aero

Mid to late war maps means mid to late war planes, a lot of work. With the early plane set it would make the most sense to see Pearl, Wake, Coral, Midway, and the Solomons first. 

• Like 1