Steam not mandatory, I implore you

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I didn't find it in the forums, but I implore you developers not to make that Steam or any other similar platform is mandatory for the installation of the game. The "Great Battles" modular system is the best I ever found in the domain of combat flight sims, and this is exactly what I want for your project. The player should feel free to install a standalone module "in Steam" or a standalone module that is "Steam free" at 100%. If, again, sames as in 2011 with "Cliffs of Dover", it is required to install a platfom for the execution of "Combat Pilot"... I simply won't purchase the game.

• Like 9

Yeah I'm with Kintaro on this topic. I despise Steam and have avoided it like the plague since it's inception. I have also noticed that every time any of the current quality flight sims have an update the Steam users are the ones that have all the problems updating or getting the sim to run properly. They're usually the first voices you see in the forums complaining about the update's quality or posting about their issues updating. Finally I'd rather give Combat Pilot (and the other sims) all my cash instead of seeing 30% sucked away by a middleman that is slow to provide meaningful support. And then to have pay for the "privilege" of using my flight sim at any given time is just heaping insult upon injury  I know this sounds harsh, but I gotta speak my mind on this issue. 

To be fair I know that just about any publisher /development of PC sims and games really needs to have Steam presence to get noticed, it's the way of the world these days. And there are a lot of folks who use it, swear by it, and have no problems as mentioned above. But if I have to pay a subscription to fly my A6M2 I'd rather pay it straight to Combat Pilot for use of their server and to help support a flight sim specific server rather than the behemoth that is Steam.  

Edited by Props
Afterthoughts
  • Like 1

Not even DCS has that. It works one way only, where you can buy it on Steam and you can then use the key on the standalone version too, but ones bought there don't work on Steam. If they're not on Steam, they should still be on one like either GOG or Epic just for the exposure. Going it alone today gives you 100% of the revenue from a far smaller audience that will also grow more slowly.

I've also had fewer issues updating games on Steam than most other services, so I'm not sure where the problem lies but I'd say although you can't prove a negative there's no proof those people wouldn't have the same or other issues if they weren't using Steam. In fact, I specifically bought Il-2: BoS a 2nd time on Steam so I could move to using it there after that launcher's horrid slow updating became too much to bear.

To me it seems like a large number of people who dislike Steam don't like it because of one specific incident in the past, sometimes years and years back, that boils down to the equivalent of "after the hassle they gave me over returning that bad product I'll never go to Walmart again". Yet people usually DO wind up going back after some time.

Steam is like any other big corporation. A small number of people have been screwed and hate it, while the vast majority see nothing different from multiple other companies and may find its ease of use and size of benefit rather than a detriment.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kissTheSky said:

it Just becomes another layer that’s not needed

THAT (in the first place)

I'm into flight sims since 1992. For many years it seemed obvious that all what you needed is a computer and the flight sim software. So now, more and more, there's what KissTheSky called "another layer", a layer who's earning some money providing... providing... well, providing no vital service because, in fact, such an additional layer simply is not necessary.

Not certain how long it will take to resolve but Steam has at least one class action lawsuit and Patent Infringement lawsuit happening at this time.

https://www.ign.com/articles/valves-steam-deck-lawsuits

Only ones who will benefit in the end are the attorneys but it could impact their service severely depending on how it shakes out in the end.

I own Cliffs of Dover since I bought it when @Jason_Williams was able to sell it at the Great Battles web store but I will not ever install it due to it requiring Steam.

Wheels

Edited by wheelsup_cavu
  • Like 1

m4tsig-1.jpg.904ee58d95dd093266899d1cb845809a.jpg

Download Missions, Skins, & Essential files for IL-2 1946 and several other game series from Mission4Today.

2 hours ago, Props said:

I have also noticed that every time any of the current quality flight sims have an update the Steam users are the ones that have all the problems updating or getting the sim to run properly. They're usually the first voices you see in the forums complaining about the update's quality or posting about their issues updating.

That's not at all what I have noticed. Based on all the threads and comments I've seen, it's the IL2 standalone installer that's notorious for suddenly ceasing to work, or to keep downloading without an end. I haven't seen much problems of the kind on the Steam platform.

Anyhow, as long as there's a Steam version as well, I'm happy. I'll gladly buy any expansions from the site itself, like in IL2, but I like to have the base game within Steam. But if it's possible and doesn't cost too much time/money to have a standalone installer as well for those who prefer it that way, then why not? 🙂

Edited by ÆþelrædUnræd
  • Like 1

• Executive Producer Skystreak Productions
10 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I didn't find it in the forums, but I implore you developers not to make that Steam or any other similar platform is mandatory for the installation of the game. The "Great Battles" modular system is the best I ever found in the domain of combat flight sims, and this is exactly what I want for your project. The player should feel free to install a standalone module "in Steam" or a standalone module that is "Steam free" at 100%. If, again, sames as in 2011 with "Cliffs of Dover", it is required to install a platfom for the execution of "Combat Pilot"... I simply won't purchase the game.

There is another whole level of IT and support you need to have to go it alone like we did with ROF an initially with IL-2. It was both a help and a hinderance. Steam and Epic also solves a lot of issues for the dev. It's not all that cheap, but solves a lot of headaches and extra bodies you need. Like I said I hope can have both. Not worth arguing over at this early stage. I'm well aware there is differing opinions on this. 

Jason

20 years is a long wait... so I'm affraid I'll change my mind if, at release, Steam or a similar platform is unavoidable for running "Combat Pilot"... but, really, please, please, please... leave an open door, let the customer choose if his purchase can or cannot work without an intermediary platform...

• Like 1

I buy directly from the developer if option is there. But I have no objections using steam. 

29 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

I use steam for quite a few games... I've had zero problems.

However, apart from CloD I don't play any other combat flight sim through that system... I'd rather have them through the original producer.

To be fair, you don't need to be online with Steam to use it. I've played Steam games on my laptop with no internet plenty of times. Now certain games require online connections at all times even without MP, which is annoying at best, but Steam and many other launchers like Epic do not require it all the time.

• Like 2